2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Towing checklist for my 2001 Blazer without tow package...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Towing checklist for my 2001 Blazer without tow package...

Ok, another question.

What is my check list of things to check before going to Florida.

I will be towing a small u-haul trailer; it's the 5X6 one... no furniture just clothes and such. so it won't be that heavy.

At the u-haul site it says the max speed towing one of these is 45 MPH.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated as I never towed anything before.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point

About a year ago I towed on of the big dual axle Uhauls with my Blazer from Michigan to Kansas. They only tell you to go that speed to cover their end if something happened to you or your ride. I was doing an average of 55-60 while towing mine. At around 65 the trailer started dancing side to side and would try to pull the rear of my Blazer with it. It was a really effective way of reminding me to slow down. I don't think you will have any problems with a little trailer.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

You will know when it's time to slow down. Be sure to center the weight over the axle(s), and once the trailer is 'wagging its tail' (swerving side to side), you'll know to slow down!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

-The biggest thing I can tell you is to make sure you're watching that thing in the rearview about 40% of the time.

-I would also grease the wheel bearings if it has "bearing buddies" lol, just greasable caps for the wheel bearings, I've seen the little bit of grease that was left in a wheel bearing ignite before, makes a mess, especially if the tire catches.

-Don't forget to check all of the lights, DRL's if they're necessary, brakes, signals, the usual.

***PLEASE CROSS the safety chains one over the other, this cradles the tongue if it unhitches and won't burry the tongue into the pavement, at 60mph, I'd hate to see what that'd do. If you have a bumper mounted ball, it'd probably tear the bumper clean off your Blazer.

Last edited by oktain; 07-13-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Starting Member
Talking

I just installed a new front end on my blazer, tie rods and everything else and new hubs.

I am going to get a hitch, there is no way I'm going to use a ball on the bumper....I know where I can mount the ball but I still want a bumper in Florida...

I replaced all of the exterior lights, parking and such so this joisey boy doesn't get stopped in s.carolina for something stupid as a light out...

I'm just going to cruise at 45mph even though it will take me 26 hrs to get there.

I would like me AND the blazer and my crap getting there in one piece...

Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you check the screw-down device that clamps onto your ball. After my trip from Michigan to Kansas I was on my way to return the U-haul and while going over a bridge it broke and the trailer became disconnected. That was a horror to see in my rearview!!!!!!!!! In order to avoid having the trailer slam into my rear-end I slowed down gradually, but the chains broke and it went off into the other lane. Thank god nobody was hurt and nothing was damaged. (except the trailer tongue and chains). Like "oktain" said ****Make sure you cross the chains.**** I can only imagine what would have happened if I didn't. I explained everything to U-haul and they were completely understanding about it. They didn't charge me at all.

Here is an interesting side bar. If you read near the bottom of your contract it says that U-haul will not rent to Ford Explorer owners. I wonder why that is besides the side that they are inferior vehicles. Ha Ha Ha!!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Just keep the tranny in 3rd (not overdrive) and don't go faster than about 65mph. I believe that you will discover that 45mph is just not gonna be a realistic speed on the interstate. Your bumper ball will be more than strong enough for this size of a trailer.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Beginning Member
1995 Blazer is on a distinguished road

youll be good at 65-70 i have a 13.3 boston whaler and i hit 80 and had no sway issues or anything (wouldent reccomend 80 though) just make sure your tongue weight is correct btw my bad on spelling

Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Starting Member
Cool

You think a bumper ball is going to be good enough?

I'm going to get a hitch that connects to the frame, nothing extravagant but a piece of mind for me.

ok about the keep it in 3d gear thing.

ok so when I get on the highway I put it in 3d and that's it? in 3d does it shift down if there is traffic or to go to a rest stop...?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Just keep the tranny in 3rd (not overdrive) and don't go faster than about 65mph. I believe that you will discover that 45mph is just not gonna be a realistic speed on the interstate. Your bumper ball will be more than strong enough for this size of a trailer.
45 might even be illegal on some Interstates with minimum speed laws...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing checklist for my 2001 Blazer without tow package...