2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transfer case Vacuum switch

Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer case Vacuum switch

Does someone have a pic or illustration showing the vacuum switch on the transfer case and which line goes where. I know that one is eng. vac, one to atmosphere and one to the front diff. vac. actuator, but specifically which one goes where on the switch. Also what retains the vac. lines on the switch? I know that there is a plastic block that the lines are in at the switch, but what keeps that block from vibating or pulling loose? I thought I had seen an illustration somewhere before but I can't find it. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen a diagram showing which hose goes where on the switch. There should be a connector on the end of the hoses. This connector has a clocking tab which will go onto the switch one way (well, one way easily anyhow).

Here is a pic showing where the switch is:

Then there is this picture, but I do not think it gives enough detail for what hose goes where:

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Starting Member

Thanks. The tcase diagram you posted appears to show what I was looking for. I think someone had just blown up the switch area of that same diagram. It may have been on another forum. Does that connector just push on to the switch or does something retain it?
Also I have done away with my vac. actuator, should I just cap the eng vac line or will that cause a code? I know there is a sensor next to my battery that is hooked to the same line that was attached to my vac actuator. I just capped the actuator line at the T connection and left the sensor vac hooked up.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It just pushes on.

If you have done away with your vacuum actuator, you could do away with the entire vacuum system back on the transfer case. Just plug off the vacuum line at the engine that runs back there. There is no need for it.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Starting Member

I may do that to eliminate the possibilities of vacuum leak in that area..