2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trip Odometer Resetting??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Trip Odometer Resetting??

Alright, I like to reset my trip odometer after every fill up so I can calculate my gas mileage. Recently I have noticed a few times this winter when I go out to my truck and start it up after a real cold snap (below zero plus the windchill) that my trip odometer will be reset, but the truck still starts up fine. Does anyone know if this is a major problem or is this a normal occurance when it is this cold out and parked outside? I mean all the radio presets and clock still work, the gear indicators work fine, all the guages work fine, and the actual odometer is accurate too, its just this trip odometer. I guess I will have to start writing down my mileage in a book.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trip Odometer Resetting??

It shouldn't be doing that... Its possible that the reset switch is somehow contacting when it is that cold out... Have you tried pulling out on the reset button after you use it?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

haha.. I read the title, and I thought someone didn't know how to reset the trip, just thinkin "are you serious"

that is weird that it's doing that on you, only time i've seen that happen is when the batt's been disconnected.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
It shouldn't be doing that... Its possible that the reset switch is somehow contacting when it is that cold out... Have you tried pulling out on the reset button after you use it?
Thats what I thought. The switch seems to be normal to me, nothing is sticking, it comes out all the way once I push it

that is weird that it's doing that on you, only time i've seen that happen is when the batt's been disconnected.
Yeah thats the only other time i had seen it do it. But all my radio presets are good and the truck starts up fine yet.

I wonder if maybe there is a little battery or something in that circuit board guage cluster. I don't know its not a big deal I was just wondering about it.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

First time I ever heard of something like that happening like kyle said its making contact somehow when its that cold!!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar problem with mine, except it didn't have to be really cold just around 25F or so, then I changed my battery and no more problems. I think that my battery was shot just enough to where it had enough power to turn the engine over, just not enough to keep that kind of information.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Double check all the interior fuses, just to be on the safe side, as well...

Though, how old is your battery?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM

Yeah not sure how old the battery is. I know I have had the truck for almost 2 years now. Its a AcDelco battery with the little diode meter in it, which still reads green for good. I am going to replace the battery before next winter as this has been 2 harsh winters on it. I was thinking it might be the battery but I don't really want to replace that right now.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do suppose a battery issue could result in the trip meter resetting WHEN you are cranking the vehicle. Maybe swing by an Advanced Auto or Autozone and have them put your truck on a electrical system analyzer or remove your battery and have them put it into their battery tester. Probably just as easy to buy a new battery and see how it goes if you do not know how long ago the battery was replaced. The original AC Delco batteries have a bad tendancy to corrode behind the positive terminal. I had this problem on my Bravada. When I went to remove the battery, the whole positive post came right out of the battery!!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I could also see a circuit board battery being a problem..that would explain why the radio presets remain.

Then again, I feel like the guys up in Canada would have seen the problem before with their -20* weather if the cold killed the board battery..

Quick Reply: Trip Odometer Resetting??