2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weird Noises from Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird Noises from Wheels

Hello all, I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4dr 4x4. When I am driving I have whirling sounds from my wheels, front I believe. It stops when I stop my car, but when the car is moving the sounds start up again. Any ideas?? Could it be bad hub bearings or something with the 4x4?? Might I need to lube my bearing on my front wheels? My brakes and rotors are just fine, passed inspection 4 months ago, only put about 10 miles on it a day, just from work and back. Then odd days might put about 20 or so miles on it. Other than that its not used very much. Low miles too, only 107,700 miles on it. One last question, how long does the stock fuel pump last?? I heard around 120,000 to 130,000 miles. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Does the noise change when you steer in any particular direction?

The front wheel bearing assemblies are sealed with no means of lubricating them.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road

I have this same thing. Sounds like a whirring/swishing coming from the tires. The dealership I bought it from said it was the brakes rubbing because they were brand new (but this was a load of bullsh*t considering it's been a year and a half, pads are at 60% or so now, and it's still happening). Also, whenever I lightly press my brakes, they squeak like hell.

Not to steal your thread/topic, but along with this I get an odd smell coming from my tires (only the ones that whir) after using my brakes a lot in town. This is the same smell as when I had a seized caliper and smoke coming from my rear tire.
Could this be another problem with the calipers? Like, maybe my front ones are somewhat seizing just not enough to cause smoke?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

mine does this to!! drives me crazy, also a 2000 4x4

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Beginning Member
wisowebs is on a distinguished road

I have done my wheel/hub bearing enough on my chevys, to describe mine always as a "growl".

The original one on my s-10 (4.3) I just jacked up the truck, and the wheel had some side to side play you could feel the bearing going. I went to drive to get the part back home, and when I pulled the assembly the bearings came pouring out..LOL..

So check that wheel for play, and more than likely its that bearing assembly, pretty common.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Starting Member

The wheel/hib bearing is just on the front set of wheels, correct? Because its a 4x4. How much, ballpark, is it to replace the wheel/hub bearings in the front?? I have had this done about 3 or 4 years ago, it was something like $400 from my mechanic. Sound right? Thanks.

Would I need just new Wheel bearings? only $25 each or do I need the whole Hub assembly?? $174.00/each. And I would guess I would need either 2 wheel beaings--$50 or 2 hub assemblies--$348. Can I just put in new Wheel bearings, $50, and that will solve my problem?? How much roughly is labor to install new wheel bearings on the front wheels?? Thanks.

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-17-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

$400 sounds a little high for one wheel, but that depends on the shops rates. The part will likely be $200 from a shop with their markup.

The bearings in the front of a 4wd are unitized hub/bearing assemblies. You cannot replace just the bearings yourself.

All of you that are looking to do this, try to resist the urge to buy the cheapest components available. You get what you pay for with these assemblies. I recommend Timken or SKF assemblies. I have always had good luck with them.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road

Any ideas what this could be if it's not the bearings?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Starting Member

So, I cannot just replace the wheel bearing itself on both wheels, I would need to replace the whole hub assembly, correct?? I mean the hub assembly is still good, just the bearinig is shot. Would make sense to just replace the bearing itself. Should be about $200 for both wheels, since its $50 in parts, plus labor, maybe even less than $200. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lionel2
So, I cannot just replace the wheel bearing itself on both wheels, I would need to replace the whole hub assembly, correct?? I mean the hub assembly is still good, just the bearinig is shot. Would make sense to just replace the bearing itself. Should be about $200 for both wheels, since its $50 in parts, plus labor, maybe even less than $200. Thanks.
What part of the quote below didn't you follow?
Originally Posted by swartlkk
The bearings in the front of a 4wd are unitized hub/bearing assemblies. You cannot replace just the bearings yourself.
BigEffingHammer, if your problem isn't identical to the OPs, please be courteous and try not to hijack his thread. Thanks! If you get ideas from what he's going through and fix your problem, great!

Quick Reply: Weird Noises from Wheels