2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tune Up = Less mileage..??? FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tune Up = Less mileage..??? FIXED

ok here goes.. last week i finaly did the long awaited tune up..

i used to notice that the truck would lose power while accelarating and that the RPM gauge would fluctuate dropping and rising while driving by almost a full mark on the RPM gauge no matter what the RPM but more so at lower RPM's..

i've had the truck for almost a year now so i figured it was well overdue for a tune up.. so i bought...

Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Plugs
Wires
Cap & Rotor

i also replaced the shocks and idler arm (see my other posts about weird bounce/steering issues.. cuz it fixed em lol)

but anyway i usualy get around 100km for $20 gas.. only lately i'm only getting around 65km-75km max for $20... also i noticed the truck has a weird idle when stopped sometimes that is almost like a bad vibration through the whole truck.. and i remember before the tune up it almost sounded like it was gonna die once or twice when stopped at a light doing the weird vibrating thingy..

where should my RPM gauge be sitting at idle..?? mine sits just one notch above the first bigger darker line 500 i think..

and i've alo noticed my oil gauge fluctuates alot with acceleration and temps outside.. when i first start it.. it stays around the 3/4 mark (not sure whatit is called right now).. and when it warms up it stays at the 1/4 unless i accelarate and then moves a little past the halfway mark.. is this normal..??

check engine light has never been on since i've owned the truck.. and oil is changed every 5000KM or 3 months at walmart.. also had an engine and coolant flush done

so here are some things i thought it might have to do with..

1. the funny RPM thingy

2. The vibrating thingy

3. or the oil thingy

any ideas help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated THX in advance

Old 12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tune Up = Less mileage..???

Oil gauge operation sounds normal.

I would recommend you clean the throttle body (IAC valve and bore included) as well as remove and clean the EGR valve and MAF sensor. You will need to replace the EGR gasket, so get yourself a screened one as to screen out large chunks of carbon that would otherwise cause the pintle in the EGR valve to stick open.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:26 AM

THX.. any do it yourself guides around here for doing this..???

Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

fuel system cleaning did wonders for mine......much smoother and better response.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM

ok never got around to doing the MAF or the EGR vavle yet.. hoping to get the time this weekend.. i was wondering what is entailed in "clean the throttle body (IAC valve and bore included)" and is it a big job..??? anyone got a how to lol

also just an update but the most i can get out of a tank of gas nowadays is 280-300km on a full tank of gas.. that's with gas at $1.20 here and just barely squeezing $75a fill up into it.. (i've been doing complete fill-ups from the when fuel light comes on for a few months now.. $75 is the max i ever managed to squeeze in (multiple cicks on the pump lol))

another update is that i noticed the other day that when idling and the RPM's drop from 2 lines past the first big line (500?)too 1 line past the first big one (500?) there's a noticeable vibration going through the truck like i mentioned before.. sounds like a rougher idleling

and i've also had walmart do a fuel sytem cleaning to no avail..

anyway THX to all once again

Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The dip in RPMs could be due to either a sticking IAC valve or a dirty EGR valve.

As far as the throttle body cleaning goes, it is easiest to just remove the throttle body and go from there. I cannot remember exactly, but I think you may need a safety torx bit set to remove the IAC valve from the throttle body. But the other little pain is the cruise control cable c-clip. It is a little black plastic clip that is a pain to remove and has a tendancy to go flying, so be careful. Once the cruise and throttle cables are removed, it is just a few electrical connections and some nuts/bolts.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Ronald is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: metalhead

but anyway i usualy get around 100km for $20 gas.. only lately i'm only getting around 65km-75km max for $20...
You should measure fuel consumption in miles per gallon, not miles per $20

If fuel prices have gone up, and I think that's the case, then you get less miles per 20 USD.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Starting Member
curse is an unknown quantity at this point

he said $1.20 a gallon.. id like to know where its 1.20 a gallon, its time to move there.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: curse

he said $1.20 a gallon.. id like to know where its 1.20 a gallon, its time to move there.
He's Canadian eh Those numbers sounded metric to me..probably mean litre. It's in the 1.11$ / liter where i am.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM

yes i'm Canadian so it's in litres lol.. me bein' a Newf and all never thought to put that in there lol... also i don't measure by the $'s anymore.. just the full tanks now.. another thing is this "cleaning the throttle body" is done how exactly..?? sorry i'm not that smart at the complicated stuff.. lol.. do i need a certain cleaner.. have to dissamble parts from it.. ect.. never done it before... and last but not least how do i tell/fix the problem if i have a "sticking IAC valve"... and would any of these problems cause crappy fuel consumption..??

THX again

Quick Reply: Tune Up = Less mileage..??? FIXED