2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vacume line

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:01 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road

Thank you Captain but I have run the general motors drive cycle exactly four or five times.Start the cold car first thing in the morning turn on all electrical idle for 2 and 1/2 minutes shut off all electrical drive to freeway take speed up to 55 for 3 minutes coast no brake or gears to slow down to 20 mph accelerate to 55 mph hold for 5 minutes coast down to 20 mph using only four way flashers to let drivers know your slowing to 20 mph then accelerate test is complete by gm standards. But the EVAP is still blinking no others like you said they run and completed there run cycle with the drive cycle. All but the EVAP with the innova x 2 I have two of them one with ABS and one without both show yellow light on steady no hard codes and the EVAP on both machines is still flashing.OK Captain the OBD reference table says F number of warm up periods to erase the DTC from the computers memory after the mill is turned off.Now this is in the innova manual so what do you think. also like I said before is there any way to erase the memory in the OBD with out the 1k tester.You said once before there are three storage locations the first one after the the mill turned itself off was erased by me and maybe the cause for the yellow light and the flashing EVAP IM.But not sure like you said you know the OBD better then I that is why I am asking you for help hoping that a hidden code in the OBD could be responsible for the evap not running its test and no set code or mill set on either.Is it possible.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On your Innova: When you clear codes, it will clear hard faults & freeze frame data for sure. Not sure about pending faults, resetting fuel trims, and the history file. If your check engine light comes on after you clear the memories, there is a problem that must be repaired before doing the drive cycle.

Each time you drive the vehicle, (called a drive trip) each monitor is constantly "watching" for the specific conditions outlined in the drive cycle. If any of the conditions are not duplicated during the drive trip, the monitor will continue "watching" for them on subsequent drive trips until the monitor completes. Each monitor will complete after all of its conditions have been perfectly duplicated. Under normal driving conditions it may take several drive trips before all requirements for each monitor are met. It's not unusual for the EVAP monitor to take days, weeks, or even months, to complete. The purpose of performing the drive cycle, is to force all of the monitors to run and complete in a short period of time, to confirm a repair, or for a State vehicle emission control test.

If your check engine light is off, do not clear the memories. #1 Make sure the oxygen sensor monitor is complete. #2 Perform steps 2 through 8 of the drive cycle. You don't need to do them in order, (probably better if you don't) but each step must be done exactly as written. The EVAP monitor is by far the most difficult monitor to complete. It uses bits and pieces of steps 2 through 8. So, if any part of steps 2 through 8 are not duplicated perfectly, the EVAP monitor will not complete.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:02 PM

Captain like I said I followed the drive cycle to a T 5 times now just like it is explained on auto tap general motors drive cycle.I have done it like I have explained and just like it is written on auto tap. with no results no hard code no check engine light and after the drive cycle the first one after memory erase it reset all the IM,s except EVAP so you tell me without a hard code or the check engine light just a flashing EVAP Icon on my innova will it pass emissions or not.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM

Captain is there any way I can erase all three of the memories because I believe my innova only erases the first one after a check engine light.Will pulling the negative cable for 30 seconds or longer erase the other codes in memory or not.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Might be something screwy in the Innova software. Do you have access to a different brand of scanner? That might be worth looking into.

Disconnecting the battery cables, for any length of time, will not clear any memories. If the check engine light was on indicating a hard fault, it will come right back on if the problem is still present.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 PM

So Captain Hook I have tried 5 times to do that drive cycle rite just like gm explains it from start up in morning cold turn on all electrical for 2 & 1/2 minutes shut off everything accelerate half throttle to 55 mph for 3 minutes coast to 20 mph no brake no gears then accelerate to 55 mph 3/4 throttle for 5 minutes then coast again to 20 mph test should be complete and all monitors should have run. But if the evap is still flashing with no check engine light or any codes or freeze frames will the car pas emissions.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM

After reading your State emission laws, it appears that all monitors must be complete. Most States will issue an automatic fail if any of the monitors are incomplete. Check with the Applus facility and find out for certain what is required. As for what the problem is, I'll let you decide. There are only two possibilities:
#1 There is something screwy with the scanner.
#2 The drive cycle is not being duplicated correctly.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 PM

Thank you Captain Jack
For all your information I didn't catch on to quick because you made me work for it,If all three memories are not cleared its not going to matter the innova tester only clears one memory I have done 6 correct drive cycles but with the other two memories still having codes that I remind you I cant see the evap IM wont reset and my tester wont tell you of the other memories but my question now that I know a more expensive tester like you explained owned by GM Dealers will do the trick at what cost I am not sure but what I am interested in is in the innova manual it explains that if the mill shuts itself off and you erase the memory with the innova that the 40 warm ups is what it will take to reset the other memories so what do you think will 40 warm ups do it or do I need to go to GM and pay them to erase my memories because I fiddled with the innova in the first place.If only I left it alone when it shut off the mill by now it would have run and cleared itself.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:46 PM

Ok Captain Hook
Were can I get all three memories erased from the PCM and not get scammed out of more money like unfortunately a lot of the available shops have a custom of doing to the Elderly,Women and the Disabled.That is why I bought the innova in the first place I was unaware that it only erased the pending memories and not all three.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 PM

Not all monitors require 40 consecutive warm ups without a failure. Each one is programmed differently depending on the severity of the problem and the consequences if it's not repaired it right away. The PCM's in these things are pretty amazing, most people don't realize what their capabilities are. The programming for the monitors is quite complex in the way they run, test & reset. Each step up the ladder in scanners, allows access to more modules, more data streams, and more functional tests. After you've spent $10K+ on a scanner, you think you can see it all... nope. There's a ton of data that only a Tech2 with full software can access. For example: Most 2nd gen Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, Astro, & Safari have Crash Data Retrieval modules, (CDR, do a google search) amazing stuff. The point is that you don't need a Tech2 to reset all of the memories. You do need something a little higher on the ladder than the Innova There are some very good lap top software programs available, and Ebay usually has some good used scanners at very reasonable prices. Check around at some local shops and explain what you need done. It literally takes longer to program the scanner to the vehicle, than it does to clear all of the memories.

Quick Reply: Vacume line