2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vibration In Front End

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 AM
vrryder is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration In Front End

I have been noticing a vibration in the front. I jack up the front and there is some play when moving wheel at 9 and 3. Could this be anything other then the tire rod end? Should there be any play when moveing the wheel?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
spooky is on a distinguished road

Tie Rods are shot. Would suggest to replace both inner and outer at the same time. Just as a safety thing, I would also check the barrings and the packing for the spindle.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
Stitch17 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't just say it's a tie rod end. The pitman arm and idler arm's are known for going in these too. Get someone to shake the front end for you and look under with a light and see what's moving. You could also put your hand on things while someone is shaking it to help determine what part needs replacing. Also, if it is just a tie rod there is no need to replaced both inner and outer, just replace the one that's bad.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:20 PM

I tired looking under while the wheel was being moved and all i could see moving was the tie rod end. I never noticed anythng else moving. Should there be any play at all in the wheel going 12 & 6 and 9 & 3? I thought it was a wheel bearing at first but usually they move up and down not side to side thats why i thought it would be the tierod end.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 PM

How do you actuallyknow if it would be the innner or out tie rod end?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member
spooky is on a distinguished road

Both my s10 PU and now my blazer has done the same thing when I would get vibrations while driving. All I did was replace my tie rods and it fixed the problem. Guess I never thought to check anything else out hehe. 12 and 6 are usually wheel barring/packing. 3 and 9 are anything to do with steering as I was told a while back.

As far as replacing one. I guess I am the type to just get the whole thing done now so don't have to worry about it later. They are bound to go bad, just a question of when.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 PM

but how would you know weather its the inner or outer?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah, they're both gonna go eventually lol, i see what your sayin'. As far as telling weither it's the inner or outer, shake the wheel and see what one moves, theres gonna be movement in one or maybe even both of them. To check the inner you could pull down on it where it attaches to the centerlink (around the grease boot) and see if the clunk/movement goes away.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:48 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just starting to have that problem and as having it before on other vechiles thats the first place I thought of. Mine started when I apply the brakes at around 75 (exit freeway) I could feel it and now notice the dash starting to vibrate a little.

Its an easy enough job if you have the forks to remove the tie rods ends, but, just remember to get a front end aliment after you done it. You can never change the tie rods ends and have a true front end aliment. ( I use to know how to do it with a plum, the real old way, but now I'm to old to fool with it)

I just look on line and if you replace both sides and both ends it will cost you around 300.00 (good tie rod ends) and if you have it done add some more $$$$$$, then the front end aliment.

But if you plan on keeping the vechile, it would be very wise to do it. Since my Blazer has only 98K (2000 LT 4x4) Thats what I'm going to do...and replace BOTH sides at one time and be done with it, for if one is going the other isn't far behind...plus saves on wheel aliments, do it once, not up to 4 times.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member

Just so you know though, none of those parts should cause a vibration, None of them turn so how would they vibrate? If your getting a vibration while your foot is on the brake replace both front brake rotors. If your getting a vibration while your not on the brake. Chances are it's either tires out of balance, bent rim or maybe even a seizing u-joint in the driveshaft. When your doing the tie rod ends once you get the nut off just hit the nuckle with a hammer until it free's up It's much easier/cleaner than using a pickle fork.

Last edited by Stitch17; 10-29-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration In Front End