2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

what are symtoms of a bad egr valve ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 01:05 PM
yzf125 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what are symtoms of a bad egr valve ?

I have a rough idle ( not real bad ) with my 02 blazer with 53000 miles on it. I just replaced the o2 sencors a week ago it runs better over all but still have a rough idle. I was told it could be the EGR valve? what would be the symtoms of it going bad ? and what can cause a rough idle . Thanks

Old 09-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: what are symtoms of a bad egr valve ?

When I had EGR problems it was a really rough idle and it stalled when I slowed down as well. I didn't replace the EGR though...I just had it cleaned and had a filter put in it...only cost about $20 or $30 I think...much cheaper than replacing teh whole EGR.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

yzf, on an '02, a bad EGR would most definitely trigger a "Check Engine" light

Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Good point...I forgot to mention that I had my check engine light on when it happens...

Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that a BAD egr would trigger a check engine light, but a dirty one may not. It is possible that some carbon has stuck the valve partially open. The gasket for the egr valve is under $2. If you think that this may be the case, go grab yourself a gasket, take it off, and thoroughly clean the pintle area of the valve.

How is your gas mileage? If it is crappy, then you may have a leak in your fuel injection spider which is located under the upper intake plenum. A leak here would cause a rough idle as well as some other symptoms (that may or may not be noticeable depending on the extent of the leak) while accelerating.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:36 PM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I'd check any vacuum hoses going to it, make sure none are cracked or leaking. If they're good, take the valve off and clean the area with carb cleaner. Spray some down in the tube that goes to the manifold, make sure there are no large carbon deposits. When you put it back on, throw a new gasket on there and see how it does.

I agree with Kyle, carbon could be keeping the valve from closing all the way so it's running rough, while at the same time not triggering the Check Engine light.

Another sign of a bad EGR valve is a strong exhaust smell coming from the front of the car (provided you don't have an exhaust leak elsewhere).

Old 09-26-2005, 07:25 PM

Where is the EGR valve located ? I think i see it on the passenger side of the engine but im not sure. Also , When do you need to change the plugs ,cap and rotor ? ( I have 53000 now ) Can these items cause it to idle rough ? My gas milage is around 19 mpg, Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

depending on the use in that 53,000 miles, it is possible that the plugs, wires, cap & rotor need changing. A worn cap/rotor could cause a rough idle, but it would also result in misfires under load (more) and possibly worse symptoms when it is wet outside.

If you are getting 19mpg, then I would lean away from a fuel leak. The EGR valve is located directly on the front of the engine between the throttlebody and the water pump. It is about the size of a soda can, has an electrical connection on the top and is held on by 2 bolts.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:12 AM

I see you are from New York , What part ? I am from New York also.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Administrator

I currently live out in Byron, NY, just west of Rochester. My wife, son, and I will be moving back to our home county (Seneca County in the Finger Lakes) in another month or 2. I just got hired by Goulds Pumps in Auburn, NY.

Quick Reply: what are symtoms of a bad egr valve ?