2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

white smoke diagnose help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:27 PM
bizzs is on a distinguished road
Default white smoke diagnose help

Hi everyone,

My teenage daughter has a 95 blazer and it was sitting since march. Today, I was getting it ready for inspection and I noticed a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. The antifreeze is full and the oil does not appear to be milky looking. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets last year and I do not smell anything sweet like anitfreeze. I did the oil filter modification two years ago and eliminated the cooler. The motor runs good without any knocking or ticking, and the check engine lights is not on. The temperature and oil pressure gauges are reading normal. The only repair that I did today was changed out the vacuum actuator switch on the transfer case and the rubber actuator itself under the battery.

Can anyone give me some pointers on where I should start looking for the problem? I have a tech 1 and no codes are showing. I would like to post my video of the smoke coming from the exhaust, but I cant figure out on how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated..

Bizzs

Last edited by bizzs; 05-27-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The transfer case vacuum switch is known to leak fluid past the O rings in the switch. The transfer case on yours uses Dexron VI fluid, (ATF). Fluid can and does migrate into the vacuum lines and can make its way to the combustion chambers in the engine. If when this happens, white smoke, not steam, will exit the tail pipe. Very important to determine if your white smoke, is actually smoke, or steam. Steam would indicate coolant, or excess moisture in the exhaust system from not using the vehicle for an extended period of time.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Being as it has been sitting for a while, take it out, get it up to temp and try to blow the cob webs out of everything. If that doesn't clear things up, white smoke is a bad fuel/air ratio. Too much air or not enough fuel, take your choice. Aside from what CH posted above, O2 sensors and the MAF sensor might need to be looked at. Though both would throw a code, at least on an OBD II vehicle. Your daughter's is OBD I so I don't know if it will throw a code.

Then again, I believe in '95 they started out with OBD I, moved onto OBD I.5 and ended up with OBD II. Just get everything up to temp on the highway, making sure the cat gets up to full temp.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the response guys. The smoke is diminishing some. I am working on it now. Attached is a youtube video from yesterday. Please review video and post your opinions. I checked the coolant and it is still full and no milky oil that I can see this morning.

Thanks bizzs

Old 05-28-2015, 06:24 PM

Problem appears to be solved. Big shout out of thanks to Capt. Hook and Ajbert.

I checked the transfer case and it was over filled with transmission fluid. I drained the fluid back to level and flushed out the vacuum lines with air. It appears that the seal is bad. Additionally, I changed the oil, oil filter and gas filter. I fired the blazer up and she smoked worse then yesterday. I took ajbert's advice and drove it for about 1/2 hour. I blew those cob webs out and smoked out my neighborhood. I brought it back home and shut her down. I fired her back up fifteen minutes later and the smoke had stopped. It appears that the transmission fluid was making its was into the engine, or guessing that a valve may have been clogged and the fresh oil opened it back up. I let the blazer sit for about 7 hours and fired her up with no smoke coming out of the exhaust. She purrs like a kitten!

I will let the blazer sit over night and fire her up in the morning hoping that me problem is cured.

Thanks again guys for your advice.
bizzs

Last edited by bizzs; 05-28-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Good job, but I hate to bare the bad news. The root cause of the problem is a leaking input shaft seal on the transfer case. Transmission fluid migrates to the transfer case and raises the fluid level in the case. While at the same time, lowering the fluid level in the transmission. The case must be removed to replace the seal.