2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

white smoke thru tailpie at startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM
giod is an unknown quantity at this point

"180k miles, so the truck does need a qt added every month."

The way you say that makes it sound like all high mileage vehicles leak or burn oil lol.
My trucks got almost 219k, my oil was changed in October and its still on the full mark on the dipstick (and still pretty damn clean) and thats with driving 80+ miles a day to school and back.

Actually when I bought my truck the oil hadn't been changed for a LONG time yet it was still on the full mark lol.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Figure three is the IAC in the attached picture. As you can see it is right up top on the intake and can be gotten at easily by simply removing the air intake duct from the air filter. This is a job that can be easily done yourself. The hardest part of this one one is probably finding the correct size torx bit to remove the two screws that hold it in.

Attached Thumbnails white smoke thru tailpie at startup-356448.gif  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by awe341
Figure three is the IAC in the attached picture. As you can see it is right up top on the intake and can be gotten at easily by simply removing the air intake duct from the air filter. This is a job that can be easily done yourself. The hardest part of this one one is probably finding the correct size torx bit to remove the two screws that hold it in.
Chevys probably have a better way than Chryslers, but when I was working on that T&C not too long ago I can tell you that almost 3/4 of the engine was in the dashboard (not under the hood) and there was no dog-house that I could find. What you want to hope for is for that part to be on the side of the engine facing out, and definitely stock up on patience (you'll need about twice as much as you think you will.).

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

doesnt this happen to everyone when they start their truck in the cold?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:35 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by litterbug
doesnt this happen to everyone when they start their truck in the cold?

read the whole thread, the OP doesn't seem to think so.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

You should read the whole post a bit more carefully I think.

He has a very large amount of white smoke on startup after sitting that seems to go away around the time the engine should go into closed loop mode.

That is "more noticeable" now that it is cold (naturally), not only happening when it is cold outside but happens only on a cold start which is a big difference.

And is combined with engine pinging on acceleration and poor gas mileage. This is the part that really points to a potential issue that needs to be taken care of.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Anyway to provide a picture?

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

you can always pull out the oxygen sensors and see how they look. if you were burning coolant they would have a white residue on them and if it was oil it would be brown. black is normal.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Beginning Member
greasemonkey08 is on a distinguished road

you could have a problem with the exaust valves they my not be seating propperly due to biuld up

Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Beginning Member
greasemonkey08 is on a distinguished road

have you tryed sea foaming

Quick Reply: white smoke thru tailpie at startup