2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Will a K&N air filter give better gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
ForkliftJeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will a K&N air filter give better gas mileage?

I've had my 99 Blazer LT 4x4 4dr for almost a month now, and I'm not sure if I'm getting good mileage. I've also got a goofy gas gauge so I've been goig off the cpu. I've filled up a few times and I think I'm getting around 460 km'sper 60 litre tanks (sorry American friends, I don't know how to convert). I know K&N filters give you better performance, but will they give better gas mileage? Any other thoughts on getting better mileage?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Will a K&N air filter give better gas mileage?

Some say yes, some say no. I have never experienced better fuel mileage with one in other vehicles. One thing you have to be careful about is the MAF sensor with an aftermarket oiled air filter. The oil can coat the elements on the sensor, causing inaccurate air flow readings.

60L used over 460km is roughly 13L/100km and that is roughly 18mpg which is pretty good for a 4wd truck.

#1 thing to go off of is the gas reciept. Just divide the # of litres pumped by the number of km travelled and multiply by 100. This is your tank average L/100km. To get to US MPG, use this tool --> Unit Conversions - TDIclub.com

Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 PM
SillyLittleBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you taking about just the filter replacement or the whole air intake replacement? I was wondering the same thing because I have heard mixed things about them.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The FIPK will gain you more, however it will also take more of a toll on your wallet. You may be lucky to get 1mpg increase with a drop in filter and maybe 2mpg increase with a FIPK... Takes a long while to gain that back in fuel costs. But it's your money! The FIPK sounds nice!!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 PM
BlackOnBlack is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a K&N filter in my last truck and didn't notice much better mileage, but I found that it did give a bit quicker throttle response. And, yes.. They do sound nice! I've also been thinking about going all-out and getting the FIPK for my recently-purchased 2004 4.3L Blazer. I'm about ready to do almost anything to get better mileage on this thing.

Here are a few numbers I got on my last tank after filling up yesterday.
61.7L - 349km = 17.7l/100km
16.3gal - 217mi = 13.3mpg

It's been this bad since I bought the truck two months ago.The numbers above are probably two-thirds city driving, and I drive pretty light footed, so I can't see slowing up makingmuch difference. I also recentlyran a tankfull with aValvoline fuel system cleaner and didn't notice any change.I'm wondering at this point if it's just a filter issue or if it's something a little deeper... O2 sensor? CPU? I have no idea..

Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

My guess is depending on how many miles you have, you probably need a tune up. That includes SparkPlugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, cleaning the MAF sensor, IAC, and EGR valves and ports. You should be getting at least 15mpg in the city. You should average more like 17-18mpg. Make sure your tires are inflated properly to between 32 and 36 front and rear should be set at the same. Also make sure you dont have a bunch of extra weight in your truck as every 50-100 pounds decreases your gas mileage by like 1mpg. Just some things that would help, my guess is that it needs the tune up, let us know the mileage and put your vehicle information in the signature (ie. year, model, #doors, 4x4 or 2wd, etc.)

Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

hey lenny, i got an 02 with 48k on it and i get around 13mpg. I guess some are luckier than others!! Me and backonblack are not fortunate ones. I knew before i bought it what to expect so i really can't complain, if i wanted a gas saver, i would have gotten a honda!!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM
ForkliftJeff is an unknown quantity at this point

80% highway driving for me. Is 18 mpg still ok?

during my slow thoughts and typing, myquestions were answered, sweet.

And for the record, I've got 204,000 kms. I will be doing a tune up in the next couple weeks, I bought it from a used car lot, who knows when the last tune up was done.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i average about 14-15 mpg and thats about2/3 highway

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
BlackOnBlack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey lenny. Forgot to put in my mileage, etc. It's got just over 49,000kms so injectors, wires and plugs are definitely fineat this point.All the fluids were changed when I bought it in August too. I don't keep anything in the back, and like I said in my earlier post, I drive pretty conservatively.Guess I'll start with a tune-up and see how that goes. Thanks for the tips

Quick Reply: Will a K&N air filter give better gas mileage?