2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Will my distributor cause a knock ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Starting Member
Tynan Tha Real Dill is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Will my distributor cause a knock ?

I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer LT 4x4 with a 4.3 L Vortec. I recently replaced the lower intake gaskets and when I put it all back together and started it, I have a knock towards the back of my motor and I'm not getting any oil pressure according to my oil gauge. When I place my hand on the oil pan, I can feel a thud the same time the knock sounds off. When I installed the distributor back in (after properly timing it) I did everything except turn the oil pump with a screw driver to match where the distributor shaft meets the oil pump...now my question is, Is the knocking the distributor turning on the oil pump because it's not connected ? Except the coolant leak I sealed, everything worked fine before the work I put on...

Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

The distributor spins the oil pump. The shaft between the distributor and oil pump is held in with a piece of plastic. You may have to drop the pan and check internally for damage. You can also inspect inside where the distributor goes but may not be able to see a lot from there. If the shaft is detached Melling sells and upgraded one that uses a steel collar, that is what I got. It is something like $10. let us know what you find out.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:59 AM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tynan Tha Real Dill
I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer LT 4x4 with a 4.3 L Vortec. I recently replaced the lower intake gaskets and when I put it all back together and started it, I have a knock towards the back of my motor and I'm not getting any oil pressure according to my oil gauge. When I place my hand on the oil pan, I can feel a thud the same time the knock sounds off. When I installed the distributor back in (after properly timing it) I did everything except turn the oil pump with a screw driver to match where the distributor shaft meets the oil pump...now my question is, Is the knocking the distributor turning on the oil pump because it's not connected ? Except the coolant leak I sealed, everything worked fine before the work I put on...
Have u checked to make sure the distributor is completely seated? U said u did not use a screwdriver to align the oil pump shaft? And now u have 0oil psi. Sounds like u need to pull this dizzy and align the oil pump shaft and make sure it is completely seated........