Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > 2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 PM

ffalan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will not shift into park

My 98 S-10 Blazer will not shift into park. There doesn't seem to be a visible problem with the gear selector on the column. There is no slipping in any of the gears, it just will not move completely into the Park position. The Park "light will not light up on the dash and the car will roll if left on an incline. Also, as you might have guessed, it will only crank in neutral.

Ideas?

Alan L
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

Shift linkage out of adjustment? Check out THIS POST for details on how to adjust the shift linkage.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned

blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

take a look under the truck on the driver side of the trans and see how the shift linkage is see if it came loose, you can tell by just putting your hand on it and give it a good wiggle, if not?! You and a buddy will be at this for a wile one in the truck the other underneith and you will have to adjust to what the underneith guy says, any who you will figure it out its not a big deal
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Starting Member

DeWalt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffalan View Post
My 98 S-10 Blazer will not shift into park. There doesn't seem to be a visible problem with the gear selector on the column. There is no slipping in any of the gears, it just will not move completely into the Park position. The Park "light will not light up on the dash and the car will roll if left on an incline. Also, as you might have guessed, it will only crank in neutral.

Ideas?

Alan L
Have the same problem with my '96. Followed the suggested steps to adjust the shifter linkage that was provided. It worked 3 instances of putting it into park but has since returned to not going into park again.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

LannyL81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Question: using your hand are you able to shift the trans into park by pushing on the linkage at the trans? If so then it is the cable. It is out of adjustment because it has probably broken. This is a PITA to fix as the new cable runs under the carpet and through a grommet in the floor. Actually takes about two hours to replace...but what a PITA to do.

What happens is the clip that holds the adjustment is in a plastic body. The plastic body has broken so the entire cable moves instead of pushing or pulling the shift linkage.

Did I mention that this is a PITA to replace....

Mine broke one night for the wife...and after two weeks of putting trans in neutral, setting parking brake, crawling under to push linkeage into park...I had enough and replaced the cable.

Got mine from Rock Auto.

Good luck and oh....have fun.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

Tags
1991, 1995, 2000, adjust, blazer, chevy, gear, linkage, park, s10, shift, shifter, trans, truck, wont