2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wires to alternator 96 4.3L 2wd

Old 03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member
drblaze is on a distinguished road
Default Wires to alternator 96 4.3L 2wd

Can anyone spot an incorrect connection at the alternator in the attached photo?

After a long job (search 'timing chain cover') done in very intermittent shifts, I got everything buttoned up and refilled, ready to restart--that moment of hopeful anticipation--but when I went to reconnect the negative battery cable, the terminal arced and sparked and generally threw a fit. I've got something connected incorrectly, but can't see what it is.

I'm most suspect of the top two arrows. The top one points to a bolt under the hoses, chromish, with two nuts like locking nuts, which looks like it should have a hoop connecter, but all I've got there is this hose bracket. The middle arrow points to a hoop connecter I've place there, which is attached to two wires out of the main harness with inline fusible links. Is that the misplaced connection, and should it go to the bolt underneath the hose at the top arrow instead? It looks like it wouldn't be long enough, which is mainly why I have it where it is. The bottom arrow points to a connection that seems to fit too well to be wrong. But obviously I'm wrong somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help. Yeah I'm embarrassed.

Attached Thumbnails Wires to alternator 96 4.3L 2wd-alternatorconnex.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Normally, the cable that goes to the stud out the back of the alternator is red (bottom cable in picture?).
What is that red cable connected to? Directly to the case, or an insulated stud. I'm guessing it's the one to go to the stud.

Do you have a volt meter? Disconnect both cables, hook the battery up, and find out which cable has 12volts on it.
That cable goes to the stud on the alternator.
The black cable may be a ground, but it may also contain 12volts.

The alternator cable has a rubber cover on it, that pushes over the nut,lug, and stud once it's connected to the alternator.
I've never seen a power connection made under the alternator, so, my guess is that red wire is hooked up wrong.

Last edited by TouringMike; 03-15-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Beginning Member

Hey thanks very much. That cable just didn't seem long enough to reach the stud on back, but what you say certainly makes sense, and I will check it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member

You were right, TouringMike. The red cable had the 12V, and does reach back to the stud at the back of the alternator. Real lame of me.

After reconnecting properly, however, I get no power at all. Nothing to the ignition, headlights don't even come on. I've got 12V to the starter solenoid, and to the study back of alternator. But that's about it. No blown fuses in the fuse box inside driver's door.

Is there a main fuse or something in the engine compartment that may have blown?

Thanks for any further suggestions .

Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

I'll bump this up for ya.
I don't know if there's an in-line fuse to the fuseblock line, but perhaps someone who knows will answer. 95-97s don't have the underhood fuse box, so......
Captain Hook, as well as Swartllk are pretty knowledgable in these areas.
Right guys?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Beginning Member
rodge0001 is on a distinguished road
Default rodge0001

sometimes there is a fusible link in the positive battery cable. if there is in yours you might have blown it when you connected the cable. if that's not it then you probably blew the diodes in the altenator itself. been there done that got the tee shirt. by the look of your photo you hooked up the battery cable to the altenator hold down bracket and not the electrical connection on the back of the altenator. first check your battery to make sure it is still good. then hook up the system correctly and if you still don't get anything have your altenator checked.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Beginning Member

The battery still shows 12+ volts and with the positive cable connected correctly, I get the same 12+V at the alternator stud and at the starter solenoid, so I guess that means the fusible link didn't burn. Is there something else I can check to see whether the alternator's shot? Otherwise, I'll take it in and have it checked, as you suggest.

Thanks for the response and advice.

And thanks for the assist, TouringMike.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member
skrapper is on a distinguished road
Default I just changed my alt.

If that is not a ground wire hooked to the cap screw on the upper left rear of the alt that is wrong. Three wires go on the alt stud 2 black/1 red(fusible link from battery). The 2 black ones supply power to various systems. If you had a dead short when you had the red wire hooked to ground you may have melted the link.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member

So, looking at the attached, the wires at Arrow1 should go to Arrow2, along with the battery red/positive cable already there?

If these are all supposed to be grouped together at Arrow2, that leaves nothing to attach to the bolt at Arrow1. Is that correct?

I first suspected what looks like a melted fusible link at Arrow3. However, either side of that indented portion at Arrow3 shows continuity with the bolt at the alternator where these two wires are now connected at Arrow1, and it's a ground. You can see where I punctured the insulation with the multimeter probes. Doesn't that mean either that's not a fusible link, or it's not burned?

Thank you very much again.

Attached Thumbnails Wires to alternator 96 4.3L 2wd-altwires.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Beginning Member
skrapper is on a distinguished road

correct. no wires at arrow 1. take those wires and add to arrow 2. alt. grounds thru frame

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wires to alternator 96 4.3L 2wd