2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Won't stay running 95 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Starting Member
xdemortalx is on a distinguished road
Default Won't stay running 95 Vortec

I have a 1995 s10 4x4 4.3 Vortec. I have changed the map sensor, throttle position sensor, idle air control sensor and put new pluggs and plugg wires in. When I bought it the steering column was busted up it was a police impound. So I took one out of my 4 door and replaced it. I'm still in the process of changed to floor shift. Problem is that it won't stay running. I turn the key and it trys to start but immediately dies. Sometimes I can get it to run for a fun seconds playing with the throttle but again it falls on its face. Another issue I noticed when trying to start it is that the interior lights and radio flash on and off with each crank. Anyone one have any ideas? Checked fuel pressure and it's good. Also ran codes and had a p0103 maf or vaf sensor which IV yet yo replace. Could this be a ground or issue or what. Any help is welcome. Another piece of info is their is a light switch...yes a house light switch. Coming from the alternator to the battery. When switch on the radio clock comes on and stays on and you can crank the car over. When switched off not radio light and no power what so ever.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xdemortalx
I have a 1995 s10 4x4 4.3 Vortec. I have changed the map sensor, throttle position sensor, idle air control sensor and put new pluggs and plugg wires in. When I bought it the steering column was busted up it was a police impound. So I took one out of my 4 door and replaced it. I'm still in the process of changed to floor shift. Problem is that it won't stay running. I turn the key and it trys to start but immediately dies. Sometimes I can get it to run for a fun seconds playing with the throttle but again it falls on its face. Another issue I noticed when trying to start it is that the interior lights and radio flash on and off with each crank. Anyone one have any ideas? Checked fuel pressure and it's good. Also ran codes and had a p0103 maf or vaf sensor which IV yet yo replace. Could this be a ground or issue or what. Any help is welcome. Another piece of info is their is a light switch...yes a house light switch. Coming from the alternator to the battery. When switch on the radio clock comes on and stays on and you can crank the car over. When switched off not radio light and no power what so ever.
Sounds like a passlock problem to me (security system). Search for GM Passlock System and read. Then ask questions if you have any. Make sure you read about the passlock system for your 1995, as there have been several versions. It's not as simple as replacing steering column with one from a different vehicle.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-27-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing about the security, IV tried it serval times it takes 30 mins to do the reset. I also do not have a security light on my dash.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing about the security, IV tried it serval times it takes 30 mins to do the reset. I also do not have a security light on my dash.
OK you should have the Passlock I system. You should also have a Security or Theft light illuminating with keyon. If not, something is dramatically wrongwith the security system.

Differencebetween 1995 and 1998+ passlock systems is:

On 1995there is a theft deterrent module that reads the resistance of the lockcylinder in the steering column. If itmatches, then it sends start signal to the PCM. You cannot relearn the theft deterrent module, so they have to match.

On1998 the resistance of the lock cylinder is read by the BCM. If the resistance matches, then it sendsstart signal to the PCM. The passlockcan be relearned (30 minute procedure) when you replace the PCM. I do not know if that includes relearning adifferent resistance value coming from the lock cylinder. Seems that would defeat the security system.

So youhave changed the steering column (unknown year) and undoubtedly have changedthe resistance value being sent to the theft deterrent module. You cannot reprogram your theft deterrentmodule. So either get the correct partsor use one of the bypass kits.

----------------------------------

GMPASSLOCK® Anti-TheftSystem for 1995+ models
Beginning in 1995 GM introduced a new version of their old VATS securitysystem. Basically, what
they have done is taken the resistor that was part of the key on the originalVATS and moved it
inside the lock cylinder of the steering column. They also set additionalparameters to make this
system complicated. You can determine if a vehicle is equipped with thisPasslock system by
checking for a “Security” or “Theft” light on the dash panel. To bypass thissystem, use the following
diagram and instructions. Most problems encountered when bypassing these typetheft systems
are due to incorrect resistance values.

Passkey – The Passkey system has a separate module called the TheftDeterrent Module (TDM)
that validates the resistive chip in the ignition key. If the resistance valueread by the TDM is what
the TDM is expecting, the TDM will send a signal to the PCM informing the PCMthat a valid key is
present and the PCM may start the vehicle. No relearn is required on a Passkeyequipped vehicle
when replacing the PCM.

GMPASSLOCK II

1997+Malibu/Cutlass, 1998+ Oldsmobile Intrigue, Alero, Buick Regal, 1999 PontiacGrand Am
and all 1998+ truck platforms (Full size Pickup, Suburban, S-10/Sonoma,Blazer/Jimmy, Tahoe/
Yukon and Astro/Safari) came out with the new Passlock II system.

The Passlock II system has the Theft Deterrent Module (TDM)function stored in the
Body Control Module (BCM). The TDM portion of the BCM will validate theresistive chip in the
ignition key. If resistance value read by the BCM is what the BCM is expecting,the BCM will send
a message over serial data to the PCM informing the PCM that a valid key ispresent and the PCM
may start the vehicle.

To perform a relearn on a Passlock II system, make sure there isa fully charged battery in the
vehicle. The battery will be used for 30 minutes without the alternatoravailable for charging.
Connect a battery charger to the battery to ensure power is available whileprogramming. Both
the BCM and PCM must be working and communicating with each other.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the insight, the steering column I put in was from a 97 mines a 95. So that would be my problem?

Old 07-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Starting Member

Some more insight, the reason for the switch was that someone busted the ignition and was starting it with a screw driver. I also am having a problem with my power draining. If I leave the switch on connected to the wire going from alternator to battery my power is drained by next day. Battery is brand new and altonator tested good

Old 07-27-2016, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the insight, the steering column I put in was from a 97 mines a 95. So that would be my problem?
No, the 97 column itself is not a mismatch. Problem is the resistance value from the lock cylinder (from different vehicle) which is read by theft deterrent module is not correct (I believe there are 15 different resistance values it could be). You said you did not get a security light with key on. If this is true - would indicate an even bigger problem with the Passlock. You need to get electrical diagrams. I suggest a subscription to AllDataDIY is in order. I have both an AllData DIY subscription + actual factory manuals for my vehicle, but it's a 2001 and different theft deterrent system than yours. AllData DIY is the cheapest way to get factory electrical diagrams and troubleshooting charts.

If your lock cylinder is still good in the old column, potentially you could swap it. Or alternatively you could potentially swap the theft deterrent module from the 1997 into the 1995. Either way need to match the lock cylinder with the theft deterrent module. All depends on if they are wired exactly the same for the two different years. Swapping lock cylinder would be the safest bet, if it is still good. But if no security or theft light, all bets are off until you do.

Not sure what you are saying about the current draw from the alternator. Please rephrase and explain.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-27-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You have a switch on the wire connecting the ALT and BATT? Or am I reading that wrong. If you do, that's a fire hazard right there unless you've found a switch capable of handling 100A through it.