2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Yay wheel bearings!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Starting Member
ADKTBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Yay wheel bearings!

So let me start of saying I'm new here. I tried searching and going through the menus, and I couldn't find what I was looking for, so forgive me if it's right in front of my face.

Anywho...

I own a 2001 Trailblazer. Not ZR2, and no limited slip as far as I know. That said, one of the rear wheel bearings is shot. No biggie right? Wrong.

I worked at Advance Auto Parts for 2 years and was even a manager there for a while and I can't find what part number I need for sure. There is no number listed for "7.625 ring gear, no limited slip". One of the guys I work with has a 97 LS that he's lifted and built up, and he tells me I need whatever it says for the 7.625 ring gear...period. The only problem is, it mentions that LSD.

It gets better. So I call Autozone. Should be almost the same answer...except it's not. They list the same part numbers for opposite specs. Larger ring gear bearing is the same as Advance's smaller ring gear bearing. On top of that, they don't even list the smaller RG bearing. I've called multiple times and heard the same thing.

So, I called my local dealer. I've known the person I talked to on the phone for years, so I know he wasn't giving me the run-around. He tells me without seeing it he doesn't know what it needs.

I find all of this to be absolute bull****. Full disclosure is, I'm NOT a GM fan, but as stupid as they can be, there is no way they made something as simple as a wheel bearing this hard to find. Someone here has to know the answer.

To aid anyone, the number that I believe to be the right bearing is National # 513023
The wheel seal number should then be National # 4795V

Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a former parts store owner back in the 80's,one thing I always suspected when running into this:either cataloging error(rare,even then)or if you supplied your axle code to the vendor(from the SPI sheet) and given wrong parts-the axle may have been changed. But,be patient and sort it:all bearings/seals/whatever are readily available,just pull your axles and do a cross on the visible numbers.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Starting Member
ADKTBlazer is on a distinguished road

That's all well and good, but this is my primary vehicle. I can't waste a day trying to figure it out, especially when the seals won't have visible numbers on them and the bearing may but probably won't either.

I know the original owner and the entire history of the vehicle. It's the original axle. That's not the problem. The problem is, no one can tell me what I need to fix it. I refuse to believe the answer is having to pull the axle. There aren't that many options and there is no way there is no rhyme or reason to which axle went in which package.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

try looking it up here , them cross reference
GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

just buy the 2-3 models of bearing they list, and bring back the ones you dont need...

i did a rear axle bearing last year, and i needed to replace the axle too because i waited too much, so fix this quick ! or it will eat your axle.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On the glove box door there's a white sticker listing the RPO codes, (regular production options). They are 3 character codes tell every option that the vehicle is equipped with. Post all of them that start with "G". The RPO code tells exactly what axle you have, ring gear diameter and axle ratio. I can understand AZ not knowing about it, but if the dealer knows their stuff, they should be well aware of it.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Yeah buy em all and send back the useless. Check closely for axle pitting dont forget new axle clips and a new spider shaft bolt.