Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2 Door Rear Speaker Mounts/Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Beginning Member
ClickBoom is on a distinguished road
Default 2 Door Rear Speaker Mounts/Brackets

Hi,
I have a 2000 2 door, and a couple of years ago when I was installing my new speakers(and whole system for that matter), I misplaced a couple of the screws for the left rear speaker and figured using the hardware included with the speakers wouldn't hurt..
Wrong. Turns out the screws were too long, and broke the two bottom tabs that hold the mounting bracket in place. The bottom two were screwed(pun intended), but the top ones were fine, so I jury-rigged it with a zip-tie to keep it from bouncing around.
Well I guess I strapped it in pretty tight, because the bracket broke at the top a few days ago; The speaker/bracket is only held in with one tab and the zip tie, and is way below where it needs to be. It sticks out where the two panels meet and just doesn't look good at all. Does anyone know of a fix/replacement for the bracket/mount?!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The only direct replacement would be to find one in a trunk that's in a salvage yard. There aren't any direct replacements made by any aftermarket manufacturers however you can buy 6x9 spacers and brackets of different types and might get lucky enough to find one that will mount up in a similar fashion.

My personal opinion would be to forget the 6x9's altogether. Rear speakers do nothing but confuse the sound stage and ruin the imaging. Concentrating efforts on making sure the front speakers have the best installation possible and a little signal processing is worth far more than any gains a person thinks they get from rear speakers.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Beginning Member
ClickBoom is on a distinguished road

Well thanks for informing me. Kinda blows.
I got quite into audio, and car audio for that matter and am aware of such things; I did take a considerable amount of time getting the imaging and whatnot right in the front.

And while I respect (and agree with) what you're saying, I do kinda already have them lol, and they were somewhat expensive, so I think I'll use them while they can be used. They get the job done well enough.

Parts of that panel were already broken from when I took it apart the first time anyway(the car lives outside in the Texas heat, plus the plastic kinda sucks), so I mean it's not MUCH worse. If I ever get around to a junkyard for a new panel maybe I'll steal the bracket too. Thanks again for the info!