Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
6781camaro is on a distinguished road
Default Sub box ideas Needed for '01 2-door

Here's what I have built so far in my '01 2-door 4x4 Blazer...

My goals were to have it as stock and stealth as possible so lots of planning was needed.

I went with an Alpine head unit, bluetooth, I-pod connectivity, Kicker 6" component system in the doors, Alpine MRV1000 amps and two Kicker Competition 8" subs. Simple, but balanced and it should sound sweet when all installed. The Kicker crossovers are mounted in the side cubbies next to the rear seats on each side to hide them.

Right now, I have everything done except for the sub enclosure and cooling fans on the amplifier false floor box I built. I have the two 3" brushless already which will mount into two cutouts at the rear end of the false floor to allow for ventilation for the amps, but just haven't had the time yet to install them.

I am posting this not only to share..... but to gather ideas for a sub enclosure for my two 8" Kicker comp subs. I would like them to go in the right side wall area to be as hidden as possible. I already removed the interior spare tire rack and tire to be relocated either on the tailgate or roof at a later date.

Any sub enclosure suggestions out there for me? Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails 2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2479.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2483.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-alpine-cde102-3-.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-door-speakers-1-.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-fuse-engine-compartment-3-.jpg  

2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-fuse-engine-compartment-1-.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-crossover-side-storage-cubby-2-.jpg  

Last edited by 6781camaro; 09-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Please have patience and wait at least 24 hours for a member to reply to your post.*

Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
*Please have patience and wait at least 24 hours for a member to reply to your post.*

Sorry... just surprised this website is so slow to react. I guess I'm used to using Camaros.net. They are UBER=FAST to help and chime in over there....

Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That is because people with blazers are out enjoying their trucks, and not sitting on a forum. LOL!
But welcome to the forum, you are off to a good start

Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
That is because people with blazers are out enjoying their trucks, and not sitting on a forum. LOL!
But welcome to the forum, you are off to a good start
Lol.... Good point. Thanks... I guess Camaro drivers are used to "faster" vehicles and tend to reply faster. However; I should be more patient with it. This is a great site too. I will wait it out and see who helps.

Last edited by 6781camaro; 09-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone? It's been 3 days now....

Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Stealth enclosure in these trucks will be tough, there's so little room to start with and very few places that work out for hiding things like a sub. If you're good at fabricating what about the rear gate? 8's won't require that much space and that is about as big an already empty void as you're gonna find. I'm building an amp rack in the same area you're describing, and that's definitely doable for an enclosure for a pair of 8's as well, but it will be hard to make it very stealthy. Bounce out more of your ideas as well, surely a solution that meets your goals with minimal compromise can be found.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Beginning Member

Well--- I was thinking of building a custom fiberglass/wood enclosure to the right of the false floor I built to house the two 8" subs. The subs would have to be positioned on a diagonal... one lower at the rear end of the box, and the other above it on a diagonal at the front end of the box. The box would be an "L" shaped box where the front end of it would creep over the wheel well and be contoured into the rear side panel to blend as best as it could.

Building the sub box into the rear gate scares me for two reasons--although it would save more space for sure....

1. the subs would be exposed to more moisture being in the tail gate
2. I'd most likely have a ton of air leaks using the tail gate as a box--my subs are designed for a sealed enclosure requiring .60 -- 1.25 cu. ft. of airspace.

I can easily picture the tail gate housing the subs, and that would "look" sweet, but those are my concerns above....

Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

That's one reason why I mentioned being good at fabricating. I wasn't referring to using the tailgate as the enclosure, just using it to house the enclosure. With some good marine grade plywood, fiberglass and bit of imagination an actual enclosure could be built inside the tailgate. Preventing any worries from weather related issues and giving maximum space and stealth. Again, it would take quite a bit of work but would be the best route. Building the enclosure on the side in the rear will work, much like the "Custom Sub Box" thread in this section. It's just not as stealthy as you're wanting.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Beginning Member

Here's what I decided to do. All I have left is to fiberglass the front portion of the sub enclosure and then paint the entire enclosure to match. I ended up welding a partial "cage" to provide a structure for the fiberglass to wrap around and form for the front portion of the box. Worked out great and I maximized all the free space in the hatch area. Each chamber has .75 cu ft of airspace for the 8" subs. I may just cover it in carpet--not sure yet... Since the wheel well ate up some space in the front-most sub chamber of the box, I had to extend the box forward, flush with the front surface of the rear seat back and around the wheel well--making sure it won't interfere with that seat belt retractor--which it doesn't. Tight squeeze here for two 8" subs. Glad I didn't choose two 10's!

I also installed cooling fans (one blowing in and one pulling hot air out) to help cool the amps under the false floor....

Let me know what you think...

Attached Thumbnails 2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2605.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2610.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2611.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2612.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2616.jpg  

2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2622.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2627.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2630.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2636.jpg   2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...-100_2633.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2001 2-dr Sub box ideas...