Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

83 full size Blazer - Need help with sub box and speaker placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 PM
rick465 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 83 full size Blazer - Need help with sub box and speaker placement

Have a SWEET '83 full size Blazer. I have 2 plate 6x9's in front of the back seat and 2 all the way in the back and a big ol' box with 2 14' subs in the back. Amps and nice head unit also. I want to build a box for the subs that dosen't take up so much room and arrange the subs and speakers where I get better sound in front when cruising with the top off. Dont really care for in dash speakers though. I have a 4" suspension lift and run 35" tires and a 350 cui engine with glass packs. It sonds AWSOME! but its loud. Any suggestions??

Old 08-25-2006, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 83 full size Blazer - Need help with sub box and speaker placement

well when your building a box for the subs. Check the specs and see where they say the air space should be at (about) like mine suggest 2cubic ft min I'm putting them at 2.4 cause its alot louder lol. Dont give it to much air either cause then it will basically be pointless. Boxes can be complicated at first but it's worth it. If you want to be loud. I would say go ported. But if your looking for a like clean sounding sub hit and low notes. Go sealed. Thats all preference really.

When you have the top off... your gonna lose noise. trust me. Its gonna be hard to get that sound up front to where u are cause well we all remember science class. Doplar effect. (btw dont correct my spelling i know its bad lol) this is where placement and all comes into play. really. Cause its like with stereo's you can gain a dB or two by simply turning the box so the subs flare up or flare to the front or rear or right left yada yada its all experimenting really

this is for a ported box

Free Ported Subwoofer Plans

input all the info needed and you get the box design for u.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM
rick465 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks dude! Any suggestions other than one big box behind the back seat? The spare tire is inside and I don't think I want it on the outside. 2 smaller boxes might be better but I can't figure out where to put them.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

i mean i havent really looked at a pic of the 83 blazer but u could try and custom some 8" subs or 10" subs in doors or panels, Under seats stuff like that. but u gotta be careful on that stuff! its alot of work.

Small like prefab sealed boxes could do for u i mean. like a truck box somewhere if u dont mind like the look fo things in the truck

Old 08-25-2006, 06:35 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

for the best results, i would suggest a downfire box. hopefully you have a rear bench seat. make a really skinny box for a 12 that goes all the way across the back, then put 4 inch feet on the bottom and slide inder the bench. that would keep you bumpin when the top is down, and it would be tucked away.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point

I built my own box for my surburban for an 18 inch Lanzar. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!