Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

9 1/2 ohm rear door speakers, help please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:53 PM
MR_LV19E is on a distinguished road
Default 9 1/2 ohm rear door speakers, help please?

Whats the deal with the 9 1/2 ohm rear door speakers?
I have a 2002 4 Dr. Blazer LS 4WD.

Stock head unit with CD and cassette deck in console, 4 ohm tweeters in the dash, 4 ohm 6" speakers in the front doors and 9 1/2 ohm 6" speakers in the rear doors.

Left tweeter, right front door and left rear door speakers blown.

Am planning on putting 4 ohm component speakers (Alpine) in the front (dash and doors) but what do I replace the rear speakers with?

Don't want to replace the head unit or get crazy with aftermarket stuff, just want the stereo and CD to work and maybe hook up an I pod input in place of the remote cassette player.

This is my first post but I have found all kinds of useful information on this forum in the past by using the search function but I've searched all over and can't find this info.

Any help would be appreciated, even a link to a thread I missed somewhere that deals with this issue.

I'm sure I'm not the only one but I already have way more invested in this vehicle than what its worth.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:27 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Just replace them with whatever speakers you want to use. In the long run none of it will ever make a difference.

There's not a good explanation for why they use those odd ball speakers that I've ever heard of. About every GM vehicle I've seen that had bad high ohm speakers replaced with regular 4 ohm ones never had any issues afterward on the factory HU.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the answer, wasn't sure if I should find some 8 ohm speakers or just put the more available 4 ohm in. I guess if anything will work I'll just put some Alpine coaxial in.

Great site.

Last edited by MR_LV19E; 03-07-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Yep, what Altoncustomtech said. I used to install auto electonics a long time ago, and my company had a contract to do all the warranty service on all the stereos for the GM and Ford dealerships in our area. There was never any issues with using an aftermarket 4ohm speaker with the factory head units.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:25 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

The lower the speakers impedance, the more the amps tonality will come into play. This can have a NEGATIVE influance to your sound quality, especially when using a weak intregated head unit.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:04 PM

Just to follow up, I used the Alpine SPS-610c in the front and the SPS-610 in the rear. I was not real impressed with the sound quality of the radio but when I put a Steely Dan CD in I was pleasantly surprised. I think down the road I would like to put in a Alpine head unit and power pack but for now I can live with listening to CD's. I'm a little surprised that the radio sounds so crappy, not sure why.