Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Align Headlights? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
patterrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Align Headlights? Please Help

Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2000 Blazer LS last month. The headlights are really mis-aligned -> they point up way too high. Does anybody know how to adjust them? I found a screw, but it seems to pivot them left-right rather than up-down. I need to point them downwards. My other car just has a screw in the housing to do this. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Old 08-18-2006, 05:27 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Align Headlights? Please Help

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't actually adjusted headlights in a new Blazer for a few years, but I seem to recall that if you open the hood and look down fron the top, you should see, at both ends of the light assemly, a torx head bolt. One to ajust left and right and the other to adjust up and down.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, there should be another one. If I remember correctly, the vertical adjustment is further down in back of the headlight. Take a look down in there and you should see it.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I took another look at it last night, and could still only find the torx screw for the horz. alignment. I'll look again tonight. Could it be possible that the other one is only accessed by removing the headlight assembly? If so, it seems like that would make it really hard to align them...

Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

no you don't have to remove the assembly. the hex your missing you must look down towards the ground through a hole in the back of the headlight...hope you can understand that. but its there. on a side note if you continue to struggle I had my local chevy dealership do it and they charged me 14.99

Old 08-18-2006, 03:23 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

First, welcome to the site. Second do not adjust these, at least until you verify something, I often see this problem (both of the lights aimed too far up) The assembly is rather difficult to install properly with the grille in it and usually someone changed the bulbs and didn't get the lower retainers in place. You can check this by pulling up on the forward edge of the light if it feels loose the bottom of the light is not installed properly. remove the grille and both lights and install them by pushing down on the light first to engauge the two retainers on the lower back edge of the light.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 AM
LORCLAS is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

First, welcome to the site. Second do not adjust these, at least until you verify something, I often see this problem (both of the lights aimed too far up) The assembly is rather difficult to install properly with the grille in it and usually someone changed the bulbs and didn't get the lower retainers in place. You can check this by pulling up on the forward edge of the light if it feels loose the bottom of the light is not installed properly. remove the grille and both lights and install them by pushing down on the light first to engauge the two retainers on the lower back edge of the light.

Beat me to it.

Should be two slots in the core support for the two tabs on the back of the light to slide down into.

A good sign to see if the lights are not in the slots is the gap between the top lights and the hood. If the gap is really small, then you probably do not have the lights in the slots.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:22 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Hey, how did you make out?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/589996B0A16F407487BDE6491866569D.gif[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2006, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I finally had a chance tonight to take a look at it. I finally found the vertical adjustment torx screw - It actually lays horizontally above the light, so I wasn't even looking for it (I thought it would be vertical). Anyways, I didn't need it.

Turns out that lastcoupe and lorclas are right on the money! The clips on the bottom of the lights aren't in the slots. I'm glad that you guys told me to look for this, or I wouldn't have noticed. However, I can't seem to get them seated in the slots. Any suggestions? I tried lots of wiggling, but they just don't want to go in (one problem is that the slots are really hard to see when the assembly is in there). It seems like the grill is getting in the way... do I need to remove the grill? Thanks for your help!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:31 AM
LORCLAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, its a pain. I kept my grille in. I would angle the lights a little till I got them over the slots then push them back and down into the slots. Use a flashlight to see the slots while you line-up the lights. It's hard to see without one.

Quick Reply: Align Headlights? Please Help