Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Best way to (speaker) run wire to amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member
duxx is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to (speaker) run wire to amp?

Hey all, I was considering adding an amp to power my rear door speakers. I was wondering what is the best (meaning neatest) way to get the rear door speaker wires to the amp. I was going to place the amp under the passenger seat (02 Blazer, LS 4door) unless there is a better recommendation?
Also, for now I will be using an in line converter since I don't know what kind of HU I want.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:29 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Neatest way is to follow the factory wiring. As for the position of the amp, as long as it doesn't overheat then you'll be good. I'm not sure if you have the power seats or not so I don't know what all is taking up the space beneath that seat.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Just out of idle curiosity, why are you putting an amp on the rear speakers? It would make more sense to put the power to the front, where the music is intended to be heard from.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
Just out of idle curiosity, why are you putting an amp on the rear speakers? It would make more sense to put the power to the front, where the music is intended to be heard from.
Good question, but I figured that it would be easier to wire the rears that try to do the fronts, meaning that it would be easier to hide the rear wires.
And my fader is set to rear bias. Just the way I like to hear my music.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by lazyboyjake
Neatest way is to follow the factory wiring. As for the position of the amp, as long as it doesn't overheat then you'll be good. I'm not sure if you have the power seats or not so I don't know what all is taking up the space beneath that seat.
If I locate the amp under the passenger seat (manual, not power seats) I guess the question is how do I get the wires from the speakers to the amp? Would it be better to locate the amp inside the dash somewhere? Or run wire from the speakers back toward the HU and them under the carpet to the amp under the seat (or where ever I put it?)

Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
I`m 56, that's the way we grew up ` with the music coming from the rear. That's the way i have my amp, wired to the rear

Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by duxx
If I locate the amp under the passenger seat (manual, not power seats) I guess the question is how do I get the wires from the speakers to the amp? Would it be better to locate the amp inside the dash somewhere? Or run wire from the speakers back toward the HU and them under the carpet to the amp under the seat (or where ever I put it?)
The best way to do it is to run the wires through the boot that the factory wires run through between the door and the body. Then under the carpet to the underside of the seat. Some guys have been known to run the wires from the amp to the factory harness in the dash and tie into the factory wires (disconnected from the radio, etc. of course) and get the power to them that way without having to run the individual wires to the individual locations.

Originally Posted by duxx
Good question, but I figured that it would be easier to wire the rears that try to do the fronts, meaning that it would be easier to hide the rear wires.
And my fader is set to rear bias. Just the way I like to hear my music.
Originally Posted by newguy
I`m 56, that's the way we grew up ` with the music coming from the rear. That's the way i have my amp, wired to the rear
That's cool, nothing wrong with personal preference.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:13 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I thought they used to put just one speaker in the front center of the dash back then...

Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

Your telling on yourself newguy - Awww the good old days, Two Krako wedge type speakers double sided taped into the back window of my 65 GTO or whatever old beater I was sporting at the time - Both wired into the under dash 8 track and no room in the back seat because it was full with the 20 or 30 8 track tapes of various music that was stored there - things that anybody under the age of forty has no idea what I'm talking about - Some days I almost wish I could go back to those care free days but I know the hangover would more than likely kill me

Last edited by odat; 01-19-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by odat
Your telling on yourself newguy - Awww the good old days, Two Krako wedge type speakers double sided taped into the back window of my 65 GTO or whatever old beater I was sporting at the time - Both wired into the under dash 8 track and no room in the back seat because it was full with the 20 or 30 8 track tapes of various music that was stored there - things that anybody under the age of forty has no idea what I'm talking about - Some days I almost wish I could go back to those care free days but I know the hangover would more than likely kill me
And when you fired up a fatty everything sounded good!

Quick Reply: Best way to (speaker) run wire to amp?