Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Can I upgrade my stock radio with a different GM OEM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I upgrade my stock radio with a different GM OEM radio?

I recently bought an aftermarket radio, but I don't like the look of aftermarket radios. What I'd really like to do is to buy a stock GM radio from a car made around 2005-2007. Double-din obviously, I want one with auxiliary input, and I want to keep it GM. Is it true that these stock cd players will only work with the model cars they were originally made for? Please only answer that one if you know for sure because I don't want to spend around $100 for another radio and have someone be wrong, and be stuck with a radio I can't install or sell.
How would installing the OEM radio be any different from the aftermarket radio? Would THEFTLOCK prevent me from doing this?

Also, another 3 short kind of off-topic questions. #1, I want to replace the factory plastic POS skid plate by the oil filter with a metal one even if I have to make it myself. Any advice? Know of where I can get a fab. one for cheap?
#2, when people say IMO on this site, what do they mean?
#3, I found a set of ZR2 wheels and tires on craigslist. Can I put these on my non-ZR2 Jimmy without having to alter anything and without any rubbing?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

IMO means In My Opinion or IMHO means same thing but H= Honest.

for the radio thing i couldn't tell you except for if the tech didn't exist when the original came out, i don't think it would work now. im not sure though.

ZR2 rims, search for backspacing of your rims, then search backspacing of the ZR2 rims. if they match up, no problem

Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Starting Member

bump.
What I'm asking here is what do I have to do to be able to put a OEM radio from a different GM car into my Jimmy? Is my stock 2000 double din or am I mistaken? Anyone know?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:59 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

As far as stock radios, they should work. The difference is that the newer radios use all four of the plugs that go into the back of the radio. That fourth plug uses the security options. But the black white and blue plugs are all that are needed for the older radios. I've used a radio from a grand am in my jimmy cause it didn't have one. Actually I've found by wiring in other stereos (I just installed a pioneer cd) that the wiring is fairly standardized. The color codes match from brand to brand. at worse you can use a 3rd party wiring adapter to use your original gm plugs.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Starting Member

so you're saying that the process for installing a different OEM radio into the car is pretty much the same as installing one made by an aftermarket company such as Pioneer? I was under the impression that the radio would lock itself up unless it was 'coded' or something, or a dealership waved a magical wand over it.
You're saying that if I had a double din dash I could just pull the old radio, splice the wires, and attach one like this \/\/\/\/ with no problem?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...ht_3417wt_1165
Please be sure because I don't want to spend the money if it wont work.
Let me know, I'd like to get one ASAP!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

I don't know if it will ur fit... but make sure you get the loc code if it's locked or have the option of getting your money back if it is locked and you for whatever reason cannot unlock it.

There is a post somewhere about how to retrieve the 'unlock code'. That's what I used to unlock the bose radio in my jimmy..

Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Starting Member

I see, thanks for the info.
Can someone explain din and double din? What size is the stock stereo/cd player in the 2000? It seems to be bigger than din but smaller than double din.
I still am not completely assured that I will be able to do the stock OEM install here. But if you guys are all saying that all I need to do is splice the wires and enter the unlock code which should be supplied, maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

newer radios for gms have different plugs than your jimmy first off, and also use data turn on...

Old 11-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
newer radios for gms have different plugs than your jimmy first off, and also use data turn on...
sounds like good advice, but you're going to have to dumb it down so I can understand it.
What will I have to do to install one? Is it worth the trouble or should I just go with aftermarket?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

To answer your din question, your stock is 1.5 din on a 2000... they went to double in 2003 IIRC, so you'd need the bezel out of later S-series vehicle.

Quick Reply: Can I upgrade my stock radio with a different GM OEM radio?