Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

CB Radio Troubleshooting..

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:52 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road
Default CB Radio Troubleshooting..

Whats up guys and gals.. My friend and I picked up some Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB's today as well as Wilson 110 metal whip antennas. We each have the antennas mounted in the center of our suvs' roofs. We are planning on using them for daily driving in a city environment as well as for off roading.

Problem: We cannot seem to figure out the proper settings to hear each other clearly. After following the instruction manual as well as messing with the *****, we are only able to hear each other for less then a mile before it goes totally quiet. This happens in both the city and in the country. is there a trick to the CB? It's kind of flustering spending 200$ on this stuff and not being able to get it to work! I know they're like fine tuned machines, but can someone point me in the right direction please!

I should also note that we can hear each other perfectly until we get more than about 1/4 mile apart and then they start breaking up..

Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 AM

And here's a couple interior pics..

Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 AM
Beginning Member
mrstaypuff is an unknown quantity at this point

a few things...first what kinf of antenna do you have...there are 2 types...planer and non-planer.....for your vehicle you need a non-planer antenna....best one you can get is a k40....the have options for both trunk and roof mounting with the bigass magnet....now reguardless of what antenna you have that needs to be tuned itself...at the very bottom of the big metel stick there should be a small set screw holding it in place...if you loosen it the stick can be rasied and lowered....you need a device(get that name tomarrow...that you hook up inline with the atenna and cb...and move it up or down to tune it...if you dont have one just make sure it bottomed out...moving on

what city are you...if you are in chicago you can expect problem fro the building no matter what....mine is set up perfect and sometimes i fade in and out just like the radio stations...

turn up the rf gain....turn it up till all you hear is static then turn it back slightly till you dont hear the static anymore...or crank it and listen away

turn the mic gain all the way up

also, seems stupid but happens...make sure you both have the same settings...meaning one cant be on channel 40 and the other on channel 40 but on the USB...meaning upper side band....when you are close you can hear each other because of "bleed over" and as you get more distance you cant hear anymore......when others are being jerks on the radio ill move to an USB or LSB and talk my lungs out with a buddy and it irritates everyone to death...

check those and post back

Old 06-19-2010, 02:33 PM

We both have the antennas as low as they will go in the mount itself, it is a hex wrench design that allows you to loosen the nut to raise and lower the antenna.

We also both have the same dial settings, but I'm not familiar with the USB setting, maybe one of us has that on somehow? Although I'm not sure how that could be if the dials and swtiches are all the same?