Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Dash speaker confusion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM
DarkRose is on a distinguished road
Question Dash speaker confusion...

I've got a 97 Blazer LS, 4 door, 2WD...

Recently bought some speakers to upgrade the factory, as I thought one of the stock speakers was blown, but that's another story...

Today I removed the dash grills to see about replacing the 4x6 plates and... no speakers? Just some cardboard/fiberboard delete plates? I didn't even realize the dash speakers were optional... Can't even find wiring...

So... now what? I've got a Kenwood receiver (I can't remember the model offhand, was an insurance replacement for my EZ500 after it was broken into at a repair shop...), can it run all 6 speakers if I just add dash speaker wiring? Or am I stuck with just the 6 1/2's in the front and rear doors?

If it can run all 6, I'll probably take it somewhere and have it wired up, because I despise doing in-dash wiring, my work schedule is insane, and after tinkering in the dash, my back hates me for days... lol.

If it won't run all six, I guess I'll just finish upgrading the front door speakers (already did the rear doors) and call it good for now and have some 4x6 plates to trade off... heh.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It can run all six IF the dash speakers are wired in SERIES with either the front or rear door speakers. The minimum ohm load for the internal amp on HU's is 4 ohms, which most all aftermarket speakers are. Connecting two speakers in PARALLEL will yield a 2 ohm load and while it won't toast the internal amp immediately, it won't last a great long period of time.

If the rear door speakers are the same size as the front door speakers I would recommend moving them to the front doors since you've recently replaced them and hooking up just the dash and front doors, forget about the rear doors.

That's just my .02

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member
Jakethegreat440 is on a distinguished road

The best way in my opinion would be to have the dash wired up and invest in a separate power supply for the door speakers, if you really want it to sound good.
then you can just run the dash speakers to the HU. if not you'll be splitting 15-20 watts rms between 4 speakers, the result is pretty poor quality at any high volume, trust me a amp for the doors is the way to go..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

For best sound leave the dash speakers out. They aint in a real good spot.

As you found out some blazers didn't have speakers. Some had tweeters, and some had speakers. I ditched the dash speakers in my first gen and put some 6.5s in the kick panels.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jake add an amp for the speakers. Or just get good quality speakers in the doors. I have a 4 door and i have 6.5 power acoustik hooked up to the HU plust tweeters and it sounds awesome i don't need an extra amp. I had the 6x4 in the dash but just didn't like them. Series is the way to go but in the end just toon your stereo to get the best sound quality you looking for. Best of luck.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Starting Member
99bblazer99 is on a distinguished road

some blazers come with stock component speakers in the front. you could just buy another component set and have the 4 door speakers and 2 tweeters it will show an even 4ohm load to your head unit. check out sonicelectronix.com. they got a big variety of component sets.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Starting Member

there is factory wiring for the tweeters unless someone pulled them but the factory speakers are a really cheap component set bc theres no capictors inline for the cross overs. the best way is to get components up front then get 3ways in the back doors or just put components all the way around.

Last edited by 99bblazer99; 01-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM

Well, if there's wiring up front, its either hidden well, or bundled up with other wiring, I didn't find it with a quick inspection.

I think I'm just going to replace my front door 6 1/2's and call ikt good enough for now, probably new vehicle time next spring anyway.

Got a friend who wanted the 4x6 plates, because her Blazer (2000 LS 4wd) does have all 6 speakers, but I remember reading somewhere that the 4ohm aftermarket speakers will burn out a factory head unit, correct? She still has the factory stereo...

Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Starting Member

no 4ohm speakers wont burn up your factory head unit. all head units are 4ohm stable.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 99bblazer99
no 4ohm speakers wont burn up your factory head unit. all head units are 4ohm stable.
Good to know, thanks!

I swear i'd read that somewhere, unless they were talking about 2ohm subs and such. I know the OEM speakers I replaced in my doors were either 9 or 10 ohm, but I've got an aftermarket Kenwood, so I wasn't worried about mine.

Guess I can trade them off after all!