Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Doesn't Seem Right..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Doesn't Seem Right..

I have two kicker Cclass 10'' powered by a stereo amp that is rated to 1000 watts and for two tens it doesn't seem loud enough. Oh when i try to make my subs louder it seems they just disort really easy. Would getting a class D mono block help them get louder at all? It is really clean bass only when I drive its almost like having my stock stereo system... It bothers me.. Suggestions? The amp is Volfenhag.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kai
I have two kicker Cclass 10'' powered by a stereo amp that is rated to 1000 watts and for two tens it doesn't seem loud enough. Oh when i try to make my subs louder it seems they just disort really easy. Would getting a class D mono block help them get louder at all? It is really clean bass only when I drive its almost like having my stock stereo system... It bothers me.. Suggestions? The amp is Volfenhag.
Is your amp 1000 RMS or 1000 peak?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road

I should of specified it is 1000 "peak" and like 400 Rms I believe yeah pretty unimpressive but it was free. I also have my fade set to alot of door speakers and not dash speakers because they are 4x6s and it seems that it trys playing too much sound out of those two speakers. Do you think that would have anything to do with the bass being so quiet because I have to turn my radio up to like 40 before it even get remotely loud. Should I just put my component tweeters in there?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member
Jakethegreat440 is on a distinguished road

I have this exact same problem in my 97 blazer I just installed kicker 6s in the back doors, 6.5s in the front and polk audio 4x6s in the dash, but now it's like literally pushing everything to the dash, I have to put my ear up to the door to hear the door speakers I have an explode hu, but I can't believe how much it's throwing sound to the front, I almost have less bass now that I replaced them

Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

IMHO Volfenhag is one of the worst brands of amps out there. Right up there with Pyle and Pyramid on my radar. The best part is that you didn't spend any money on it at all.

First of all have you checked ALL your power and ground connections to be sure they're clean and secure? It's unreal how much a bad connection can cause problems. Are you certain you have the subs wired to it correctly? If you have say two 4 ohm subs wired in series you're not going to get much power out of that amp with an 8 ohm load. Another thing that could be wrong is that you could have one sub wired out of phase. If that's the case you'll see them moving but hear almost nothing coming from them. An easy way to test for that problem is to disconnect just one sub, if it gets louder then they were definitely out of phase.

You may just be expecting too much from the amp you were given or it could just be a crap amp too. I very good friend of mine was given a little system with a pair of 10" Planet Audio subs and a small Volfenhag amp. The amp had something wrong internally as no matter how the gain was set it sounded like complete *** with tons of distortion. Swapped it out for an old Profile amp I had lying around and viola nice clean bass. If you find all the connections perfect, the wiring good, and the subs are in fact in phase then I'd connect them up to a different amp. If they perform as one would expect on another amp then the Volfenhag is crap, if not then you may have another problem with the voice coils on the subs or your box has some major issues like air leaks.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kai
I should of specified it is 1000 "peak" and like 400 Rms I believe yeah pretty unimpressive but it was free. I also have my fade set to alot of door speakers and not dash speakers because they are 4x6s and it seems that it trys playing too much sound out of those two speakers. Do you think that would have anything to do with the bass being so quiet because I have to turn my radio up to like 40 before it even get remotely loud. Should I just put my component tweeters in there?
Originally Posted by Jakethegreat440
I have this exact same problem in my 97 blazer I just installed kicker 6s in the back doors, 6.5s in the front and polk audio 4x6s in the dash, but now it's like literally pushing everything to the dash, I have to put my ear up to the door to hear the door speakers I have an explode hu, but I can't believe how much it's throwing sound to the front, I almost have less bass now that I replaced them

That's six speakers on a head unit designed to drive four. If you guys have your door speakers wired to the rear speaker outputs with aftermarket speakers then you likely have a 2 ohm load on the HU's internal amp. That can very well fry that little bitty IC amp chip because they're not designed to drive a load any lower than 4 ohms. If this is the case then you need to make a decision quickly on a pair of speakers you don't need to hear and disconnect them. Hopefully it's not too late and your HU's internal amp chip is still okay. If it's already a goner then you're looking at new HU's or getting a small 4 channel amp to run your door speakers. On that note, it's really better to have an amp on your high's anyway. They'll get louder and play cleaner with a good external amp running them than that little IC amp in the HU could ever dream of.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
Jakethegreat440 is on a distinguished road

Took me awhile but I just saw this, definitely took the above advice after doing some research. will be waiting to invest in a amp for the door speakers. luckily I fried nothing out and just kept the dash in because there louder. Who knew the can of worms i'd open trying to upgrade my stereo