Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

How-to install hidden switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
turtlehumper2000 is on a distinguished road
Default How-to install hidden switches

Ok so i was looking for a place to mount the switches for the auto bottle opener and a purge. I wanted a place where they wouldnt be in plain sight. So i had the idea to build a mount inside my ash tray since i dont smoke and if you smoke in my truck i keel you. You can do this with any switches you want i just used these because they were best for what i was doing.
What you need:
A peice of plexi-glass
the switches you want to install
some sort of silicone
First you measure you ash tray and make a pattern on your plexi glass

Then you cut out the pattern. I used a Circular saw with a plywood blade on it.
Then i use a dremel to cut down the peice in the middle of the ash try to make room for the plexiglass:

and i drilled a hole in the back for wires:

Then i used a sanding disc on an angle grinder to shave off what i needed to to make it fit perfect.

I then drilled the holes for the switches. Once again i used a dremel for the longer switch. Then i sanded it real quick so i could paint it:

then i painted it and installed the switches:

then i hooked the wires up and installed the plate into the ash tray and used the silcone to seal it (which looks like crap on mine because i dont have a caulking gun im gonna scrap it off and redo it later)

and back into the car it goes

was thinking about buying an ledstrip from advance to put above it so i can see it at night.