Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

How to run wires from battery & head unit to amp & speaker-box (in trunk)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member
JohnBarJB is on a distinguished road
Default How to run wires from battery & head unit to amp & speaker-box (in trunk)

I have a 2002 Blazer (2 door) and am installing a system.

I am curious to know what is the best way to run the wiring from the front of the vehicle to the back of the vehicle?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Starting Member
bobby099 is on a distinguished road

this is for the power wire sometimes its red or blue.

what you need to do is just run you positive "power wire" threw your firewall in my 98 4door i have a pre drilled hole on the passenger side under the carpet try to pull back the carpet to see there might be a rubber piece in the place of the hole it is for your antenna just pull out the rubber gromet which is the rubber piece. if you do not have one just get a drill and a big drill bit it needs to be for metal and drill you a hole threw the firewall and then install a rubber gromet around the hole so no water enters threw the firwall or grounding it out and shorting something in your blazer.
then run it under the carpet or threw your trim to hide the mess of wires only run the power wire on the passenger side its alot easier for you in the long run because on the driverside you want to run your remote wire and your rcas.

now for the ground

you want to sand down very good a spot on your frame of your blazer so you can bolt down your ground wire. what i used it seems to be a good spot in my four door is the seat belt latch under your seat just cut a little square of the carpet back and sand down the metal just until the metal is bare. then bolt it down with the seat belt latch bolt. you should have a good ground now.

rcas and remote wire,

just run it down the side of the driverside trim panel this is why i said not to run your rcas with power wire you will have a horrible sound coming threw your door speakers and subwoofers.

rcas all you have to do is hook it up to your aftermarket radio in the back.

then install a fuse in your power wire and turn the blazer on to see if you have any power from your amp then run your subwoofer wire to your amp you should be good to go.

sorry for the long info but you should have no problems installing your system now.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Search on Amazon for KnuKoncepts amp install kit, 4 gauge. Its a really nice kit, and has EVERYTHING you need, including the inline fuse that you put within 18" of the battery. Like has been said already by bobby. Run the RCA's on the opposite side from the battery wire. There are many places you can go through on your firewall, on my first gen I went through the same hole that the antenna wire goes through. but just search around and you will find a spot.
As for the ground wire. a lot of people have used the mounting bolts for the rear seat, I used one of the cargo die downs. Just make sure you clean up the area REAL well so its bare metal.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you both for the information.

I already have the wiring kit, RCA wires, remote wire, etc. I am just curious to know where/how to run the wires.

From the sounds of it, I need to drill a hole in the firewall (or use the antenna hole) to run my power cable into the cab. From there I need to run the power cable under the carpet along the door jam.

Do the same thing with my remote wire and RCA wire only on the opposite side.

I am sure I will find a good place for a ground.

Does this summary sound about right? I was considering taking the middle console out, running the wires down the middle of the blazer, and then putting the middle console back in place; has anyone done this?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Starting Member

you can do that it just wouldnt hide the wires good unless you cut the carpet and run them like that. but if you just run them threw the plastic its so much easier plus down the road you might have a defect in your rcas or power wire or remote its just a pain to rip it out and fix/replace without messing something else up.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You could do that, but the easiest, and best option is to do the power wire down the passenger side, and the RCA/Remote wire down the drivers side. Running them both down the middle would not hide them, and then the RCA and power wire would be too close together.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you. I did not know that the RCA and Power wire being next to each other would cause problems. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Starting Member

they dont cause any problems it just inference threw your door speakers and subwoofers thats it. but the way to fix it is to run the rcas and remote on the driverside and the power on the passenger side.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM
BF Veteran

It does not "technically" cause problems. But, in a way it does, because it will create a noise that you can hear especially through your subwoofers, a horrible whine noise, that will get irritating quickly. so, that kind of is a problem haha!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Starting Member

yes that is very true ive never done it but i heard of people doing it and thinking its there radio or amp haha.

Quick Reply: How to run wires from battery & head unit to amp & speaker-box (in trunk)