Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

new to forums, help with amp install

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 05:45 PM
87s10blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to forums, help with amp install

hey i have a 87 s10 blazer...im trying to instal a amp and subs, where are holes in the engine bay where i could run the power wire from the batery to the amp? my amp and subs are in the very back...the only way i could find is through my fender, but it seems like the door might damage the wire. thanks for any help.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:53 PM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: new to forums, help with amp install

what gauge wire are you running? i might have an idea if your running some smaller wire

Old 12-25-2005, 07:38 PM

4 gauge, not that small...haha

Old 12-25-2005, 08:17 PM
alpinejimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

what ever you do dont run it through the fender, door will damage it a prolly mess up your amp. Just drill a hole into the fire wall, making sure you use a rubber grommet to prevent friction. Then run it under your dash, under the steering wheel. Then pull up carpet and run it under the carpet. easy, CLEAN, setup.
OH! dont forget to fuse it within a few inches of the battery.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:06 AM

well i think i did it right, but now i cant find a good ground, and i only have like 2 feet of wire, btw would i have to use 4 gauge for my ground, or could i use any size? if i have to use 4, anybody know of anygood spots in the very back of 87 s10s?

Old 12-26-2005, 04:51 AM

ORIGINAL: 87s10blazer

4 gauge, not that small...haha
4 gauge should fit fine with what im about to tell you. when i had my 92 blazer, i ran 4 gauge from the bat through the hole where the hood's hinge is (on the passenger side). then it went down to some kind of hindged flap behind the kick panel. and from there, i just ran it under carpet and panels to the hatch. im assuming your blazer is the same as my 92, but there a chance that this may not work on your. its worth checking out though. you kinda have to be careful that the hood's hige doesnt damage the wire cause it sits tight on the wire.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 87s10blazer

well i think i did it right, but now i cant find a good ground, and i only have like 2 feet of wire, btw would i have to use 4 gauge for my ground, or could i use any size? if i have to use 4, anybody know of anygood spots in the very back of 87 s10s?
i didnt scroll down and read this post before i replyed to your other one, lol.

if your power wire is 4 gauge, your ground must be at least 4 gauge. never go smaller than your power wire's gauge.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
alpinejimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

i drive a 98 so im not too sure on an exact spot. Yes you need to use the 4 gauge. im sure if you look around/pull up carpet there will be a big bolt somewhere, possibly a seat bolt post.
just make sure you sand the **** outta it, no paint no rust where the ground is bolted

how did you run the power??? if you drilled a hole, dont forget to use a grommet!!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:36 AM

DONT use the seatbelt bolts. they are very bad grounds. if you cant find a good bolt for a ground (i use the cargo hook bolts), then drill a hole in some grounded metal and bolt the ground wire on. its really easy to do. just make sure you sand the metal very well. and always check the ground with a DMM to make sure its good. also, its good to check the resistance of the ground to minimize unwanted noise.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:16 AM
85FSBSilverado is an unknown quantity at this point

For your power wire, you can drill a hole under the floorboard. Just make sure you miss any wires and that you use a good grommet that won't move. You might want to wrap electrical tape around each side so it won't move. Make sure you keep the wire away from the exhaust manifolds.

For the ground wire, you could make a new one. Drill a hole, get a ring terminal and good bolt that will fit in the hole, scratch the paint off from around the hole, and screw the bolt down. You can also use two 8ga wires at one or more points.

It depends on how much current you are pulling as to whether you need 4ga on both sides or not.