Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

OEM Speaker Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

thanks bud

Old 05-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

yup yup yup good thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Starting Member
Crestwood1001 is on a distinguished road

I drive a 95 blazer 4 door, are my rear speakers 4 ohm or 8?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 86Blazer4x4
oh i didnt realize that i thought it would be like the older body style s10. note taken.
1st or 2nd gen doesn't matter, what does is the body config (2 or 4 doors).

someone else mentioned that the rear doors are 5 1/4"? now i haven't done alot of these trucks, but i've noticed that on the LT's, the rear doors have been the same as the front. maybe because of the higher trim line? who knows what the hell goes on @ GM.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jagblazer01
All 82 to 04 S-10s and Blazers take 4x6s in the dash
All 82 to 04 S-10s take either 4x6s or 4x10s in the rear. Just look at it, if its a huge oval, its a 4x10, if its oval but closer to a circle , its a 4x6.
All 83-94 2 door Blazers use 6x9s in the rear
All 83-94 4 door blazers use 6 3/4s in the rear
All 94-04 S-10s and 95-04 Blazers use 6 3/4s in the front doors
All 95-04 Blazer 2 doors use 6x9s in the rear
All 95-04 4 door Blazers use 5 1/4s in the rear there are a few variances of this. some blazers come with tweeters in the dash. the info above will hold true 90% of the time, but it's always safest to check for yourself.
Can anybody who has actually replaced their rear speakers confirm the rear speaker size in a 99 Jimmy? This thread shows 5 1/4 but a few other searches yielded 6.5" speaker size.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by my1blazer
sorry its my fristtruckbut i know thats its a 1996 but on the door it has LT but its a 4 door and my mom says its a s-10 blazer and theirs no speakers at all so how would i find out what kind of truck it is and the speaker size all around??????????
nobody can guarantee what speakers are going to be in there. if you're not the origional owner, which i'm guessing you're not, someone could've put anything in there (i had 8" subs in the bach doors of my '92). if it's a LT 4 door, it shouldhave the larger speakers in it in the rear doors (same as the front doors), and 4X6 plates in the dash.
as for what truck you have, the "S" is for the smaller line of trucks the General made (S10 is Chevy, S15 is GMC) if it's a 4WD truck (regardless of Chevy or GM) it's gonna be a "T" truck (T is for 4WD). so, if your truck is a Chevy, and it's 2WD, then yes, it'll be a S10 Blazer.

Originally Posted by Outsydr
the size is diameter so measure across but let me save you some time, 94 has 6 3/4" in the rear doors (I replaced mine with 6 1/2" easily enough though) and 4"x6" in the dash
good to know. but the '94 is the first gen truck, and my1blazer has a '96.

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
Can anybody who has actually replaced their rear speakers confirm the rear speaker size in a 99 Jimmy? This thread shows 5 1/4 but a few other searches yielded 6.5" speaker size.
what trim line is your truck? i stripped a '99 SLE Jimmy for parts, and found the rear door speakers were the same as in my '98 LT Blazer (6 1/2"). i found this weird since my Blazer has every option ordered, but the Jimmy only had the upgraded power group (pl,pw,pwr drv seat, no lumbar), no leather, no moon roof. you could just pop you rear skins off, remove the speaker, and take it with you when buying your replacement speakers. that way you'll have the right size (and less worries for you).

Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 PM
newbie1959 is on a distinguished road
Default OEM Speakers (resistors to change speaker impedence? NOT)

I was just reviewing the post on OEM speakers. Not too sure of the newer GM or Delco sound systems however - the older units 'generally' had a speaker impedence somewhere around 10 ohms.

As far as using a resisitor between the stereo and speaker - NOT recommended. Although the same units are used to measure the two, there is a huge difference between resistance and impedence.

It may work temporarily, eventually the output amp in the stereo will likely overheat and burn out. You 'may' get lucky and only fry the resistor but usually it's the stereo that ends up getting the worst of it. This is especially true at higher volume levels.

Better to replace the speakers with the same impedence or the stereo.
Just a word from someone that has learned the hard way and has worked in audio electronics since the 70's.

Best of luck.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member
LinkTGF is on a distinguished road

Maybe it was just me, but I recently replaced my factory speakers in my 98 S10 Blazer with BOSS speakers and found that my dash had factory installed 1" tweeters and not 4" x 6" speakers as all the guides say.

I did end up replacing the 5 1/4" in the back doors with 6 3/4" speakers =P

Old 06-22-2010, 11:17 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by LinkTGF
Maybe it was just me, but I recently replaced my factory speakers in my 98 S10 Blazer with BOSS speakers and found that my dash had factory installed 1" tweeters and not 4" x 6" speakers as all the guides say.

yes, there is a 1" tweeter in there, but it's still a 4x6 plate design that's used.

and a little FYI, not all 4x6 plates simply "drop in" on these 2nd gen trucks. i know that RF, Alpine, and Sony 4x6 plates need a little "tweaking" to make them fit. very little actually, but still not a complete drop in.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road

my bravada has the factory tweeters in the dash and there still decent,the hold there own with the 4 3-way 6.5s i have in my doors..and thank you i wasnt aware that the rear doors on my bravada were 5.25..that would explain the hassle i had fitting my 6.5s in that spot

Quick Reply: OEM Speaker Sizes