Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

remote start/alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:44 PM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister is selling her blazer. I told her I would get some things cleaned up and working for her. My question is about a remote start alarm system in the vehicle. When my dad bought the blazer about 10 years ago, it had an after market remote start/alarm. The "key fob"/"remote" fell apart. I'm digging into the dash now to try to find the module to see if I can get a brand name or something off of it. I can't find the module. All I can see is what looks to be one of those pass lock things, or whatever they are that bypass the factory alarm system. There are some other wires wrapped up, some fuses, and what looks to be some kind of a relay. I not sure what all has to do with the remote start. Just wondering if anyone can help my figure out what key fob I can get that might work. I would like to find out the brand so I can see about a manual to figure this thing out. The key fob that my sister had looked almost like a factory GM one, but with blue and green buttons I think. Could this be some kind of a unit that ties into factory equipment like a remote start option? It's a 2001, was there an option for remote start on a 2001 blazer? She doesn't have the key fob anymore, so I can't get any numbers off of it. If anyone knows anything about this, please help.

Doing a search on ebay, i see that there are "oem activate" ones, and ones that say they use the factory fob. I wonder if this is what this one has. i armed my factory blazer fob to it, and it worked for lock, unlock, and rear glass unlock. I did another ebay search for a fob in that style with a start button, with no luck. I tried to arm the fob from my newer grand prix, also with no luck. I guess it must use a different signal or something. if anyone has an idea of a remote that might work, it would be very helpful. thanks

Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that if there is a passlock bypass, it's an aftermarket starter. My pops has an acadia with factory remote start, and wanted a better system with more range. They installed a bypass and another unit.

Follow the bypass unit wiring, you will get to the remote module. Those relay things you see, is it a bunch of relays together? or One larger block? If it's a large block, that could very well be the module, if it's a bunch of relays, follow the wires to the module.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 AM
moosehauler05'blaz is on a distinguished road

I know i have a after market remote/alarm on mine and it has a by-pass on it. The alarm has a override on it however if it was taken out i don't think the truck would start right unless you knew which wire was what It's a Compustar ..If you really need to find the brand maybe a audio shop could help I don't have the need for Key fobs Mine runs off my Phone and gives me updates on where it is and if its set off a alarm and of course start and shut down Lock unlock ..A good thing if you ever lose or damage your fobs