Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Security won't work with aftermarket stereo 99 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 AM
Haralds Gr is on a distinguished road
Default Security won't work with aftermarket stereo 99 Blazer

Hey peeps!
I have a 1999 S10 Blazer European (export) model.
Have factory security and had a factory stereo which was working, but with some problems. I decided to change it and as I didn't have any connector adapters I spliced the wires. My bad that I forgot to disconnect the battery, so I blew up 2 fuses in the dash - RDO/BAT and IGN/RDO or something like that.
Hooked up the stereo, there were 4 or 5 wires left that I didn't know where to put them, 3 of them were for amp, antenna and dim lights. 2 wires are a mystery for me. Then changed the fuses in dash and checked the stereo - worked fine, but my fob didn't work anymore and I can't start the car - changed the battery in fob, unhooked the car battery for 15 mins and still no go. Tried to connect back the old stereo - stereo worked fine, but car security light was still on and no reaction to fob.
So the question is - could I blew up some more fuses that would affect factory alarm or the fob somehow died. I will have other fob tonight and will try that one. I checked all other the fuses in dash and under hood and all were good. Would like some pointers what else to check.
Thanks.

Last edited by Haralds Gr; 05-16-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:38 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Maybe ignition/key relearn. Search for directions on how to do it.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

You said you can't start the car. Is that with a key or the fob? Factory remote start was not an option so if you have a remote start it's aftermarket. Those units often have a fuse in the wiring to them that could have blown.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
You said you can't start the car. Is that with a key or the fob? Factory remote start was not an option so if you have a remote start it's aftermarket. Those units often have a fuse in the wiring to them that could have blown.
I don't have remote start, only immobilizer that I need to turn off with fob.

Anyway, I got the car to the shop and on the phone they said that there's some kind of problems with wiring under the dash. Possible that somebody tried to rig the car before or installed something that was uninstalled later, but wiring left as is and when I tried to solder the new radio wiring and blew the fuses I somehow burned the wires, so lucky me that the car didn't burn down to ground.
Waiting for the call from shop, car should be running again today or tomorrow and then I'll write more detailed what was what.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 AM

Thx for ideas. Took the car to shop and after 3 days of constant asking - what is with the car, because they didn't tell me anything. They answered - I somehow managed to short out 5 wiring lines and burn 4 microchips - 2 in TDM, 1 in PCM and 1 in cluster panel. Don't ask how, I just did it..
So now waiting for parts and hoping that car will be on road today evening or tomorrow.
Cheers.