Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo Wiring and Install Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:44 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you got something hooked up wrong and either the internal amp is shutting itself off to protect it from a short or you've already blown the internal amp.

Another possibility is that the HU has an option to turn off the internal amp and you accidentally turned that off, but it's not very likely as you'd probably have noticed when you did that right away and prompted turned it back on.

Did you cut the factory plug off the harness?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Beginning Member
wirspider is on a distinguished road
Default Do the wires meet somewhere between stereo and speakers?

I have a 98 ls 4dr. I've been running a pioneer aftermarket for a few years with no problems. Out of no where I lost all volume except a small amount coming from the passenger dash speaker. I've tried other stereos with same results. Does any one know where the wires go after they leave the stereo? Do they go straight to the speakers or do they meet somewhere before the speakers?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Assuming you don't have the premium factory stereo then they should go straight to the speakers. Are you still using the factory speakers? They have a tendency to crap out after a while.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member

It had the factory stereo in it years ago but I replaced it with a pioneer.

I only had the front 4 speakers hooked up. Dash and doors. It's really hard to imagine all 4 speakers going bad at the exact same time because I didn't have the radio turned up at the time. I was trying to when I noticed it.

Even if all 4 failed a continuity test I still couldn't believe all 4 went out at the exact same time without something major shorting them all out.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member

Correct?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

I'd check the speakers first, then go from there.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Beginning Member
tlamana is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the small hijack but besides the junkyard or LMC where might I find an antenna that plugs into the socket? The PO replaced the pass fender and never put the antenna back on.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by tlamana
Sorry for the small hijack but besides the junkyard or LMC where might I find an antenna that plugs into the socket? The PO replaced the pass fender and never put the antenna back on.
You can get antennas in about any auto part store. It doesn't have to be especially for a blazer. Keep in mind that the oe radio uses a different size plug than most aftermarket stereos. So get the adapter if needed.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Beginning Member
tlamana is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wirspider
You can get antennas in about any auto part store. It doesn't have to be especially for a blazer. Keep in mind that the oe radio uses a different size plug than most aftermarket stereos. So get the adapter if needed.
The adapter is probably what I am looking for but the local parts store doesn't have it.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by tlamana
The adapter is probably what I am looking for but the local parts store doesn't have it.
Allot of Wal-Marts carry some made by scoche. Auto zone sells them. Amazon sells them. Radio shack prob even has them.

Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring and Install Parts