Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

subwoofer up ports back? any pros-cons in a s-series 4 dr

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road
Default subwoofer up ports back? any pros-cons in a s-series 4 dr

In light of summer around the corner, and the days of hotness and windows down i am on the hunt for box style/placement preffered for a 4 door s-series.

this is not a bought store build, i will be building this to accommodate the new subs and amp that are being planned.

the 2 main setups in question:
- sub up port back
- sub back port back

currently I have good sound from my 3.3ft^ 32hz tuned L-ported monster both sub and port are faced towards the tailgate... with the plan of needing more cubes and possibly bigger woofers, i was curious how well a sub up port back design sounds in these trucks?

i have read numerous on the idea for these trucks and so far the opinion is pretty halfed, some say all back and some say port back sub up.

right now if my idea stands i might be forced into a sub up port back design due to space and cubes needed.

but i would love to see what others have experience with first before i set my plans in stone

Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

It is always a good practice to have the sub and the port facing the same direction. As soon as they start facing unlike directions, the sound will become out of phase. Some are easier to correct than others, but without the knowledge of what youre doing, it will become very difficult. Keep it simple and face them the same direction.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Starting Member

with further testing this morning, ill be doing a 4th order instead, it will hit the lows where i want them

basic dims are as follows:
27" deep
16" high
38" wide

part "a" of the port will be 24" long

in short I put 3months of research behind my first enclosure, this current enclosure is specifically built tuned and tied to both my current 12's and the truck itself (and its your typical slot port design) not metered as of yet, but nifty bass tricks at low notes is and has been done

the dimensions above are changing as i see fit so this was just a real quick measurement

i see how a a sub up port back design works in hatchback cars but a design similiar in a truck with a less horizontal surface would pose loss and or cancellation.... hence why i wondered about this sub up port back design, i know some loud SUV's with the design i speak of but not in a s-series..

as far as simplicity goes... i like challenge lol

Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was always told in SUVs and hatches to do subs up port back. That's what I saw alot of and thought it would work cause you have the pressure of the sub going up and the pressure of the box bouncing off the back hatch/glass. Just leave decent room between the port and back of the vehicle so the air doesn't hit the back and dispearce in random directions. But bounces back towards the front.

But then agian this is geared more towards spl and not sq. SQ would be much clearer and less boomy and hollow bass with subs and ports on the same face of the box. But I'm a basshead and just want concussions from the bass and have to remember not everybody is like me. So in a daily driver with diffrent kinds of music then what Bo said.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Starting Member

i too am a basshead, my kids as well.. the misses doesnt quite understand why we must have the lows where you can feel them and troubles the breathing... but she did volunteer for a small hairtrick with all windows down halfway.. lol

Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Nice glad to hear of some of the next generation getting into car audio. It's a huge passion of mine and it seems like it's a dying art. It's no where near as big as it was 5-10 years ago.

Personally I'm wanting to redo my stereo next spring/summer. I'm going with two good 15's ( unsure of brand.) and giving up my entire cargo area to them. My box will be subs up port back.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Starting Member

i managed to switch up my current enclosure and i must say it is a bit more "powerful" however not enough to be dead set on its location or design.

granted the box itself is not as optimal as it could be. both my subs require a minimum of 1.3cu ft^ and a maximum-ish of 3.15 per woofer. i stayed small and went with 3 cubes and tuned low 33hz. lol for 2 12's it moves plenty air

the new box design is in the works for sure on the fence between 5.8 and 6.3 cubes lol

Old 06-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Shoot for the 1/2 cubic foot diffrence go the full 6.3 cubic foot.

I'd tune somewhere around 33-38 hertz. Gives you the low end without bottoming out most subs. Plus the higher bass notes arnt as sharp and annoying. What subs do you have?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I have 2 L7 12's in a slot ported box with the ports facing the same direction as the speakers. I tried facing them towards the rear and then facing them up and IMO they sound much better facing the rear.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Starting Member

33hz tune on 2 aw1251t's (very old audiobahns, yet very beat worthy)

the toss up for the next woofers is between FI BTL's, the TXX series audiopipe (Realm of Excursion has a competitor that runs audiopipe subs), power acoustik ****'s, RE audio, or AudioQue..

im kind of in the happy medium zone with cubes, so i could up the woofer size easily.

back in the day i had 4 15's in the backseat of my oldsmobile delta 88 and not only has build quality made it leaps and bounds but technology has as well with woofer design

Quick Reply: subwoofer up ports back? any pros-cons in a s-series 4 dr