Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

What size speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
stevette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What size speaker?

3 of the 4 door speakers in my '97 Blazer are blown i.e. infinite impedance. I removed the driver's door speaker today and it measured 6" in diameter. Looking through this forum it seems that many members are using 6.5" diameter speakers in the doors.What is the correct size or will 6 " or 6.5 " work? Also I'm looking for basic (cheap) replacements. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: What size speaker?

6.5's will fit perfectly. that is the recomended and industry accepted for our trucks! Pioneers can be had for mad cheap!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

5.5" to 6.5" round speakers will work in all four doors. The rear has a little less mounting depth than the front doors and is the biggest thing to worry about for installation. My thoughts are to go to crutchfield.com and see what they have that fits and then go shopping from there. They should also be able to tell you what the mounting depth is for front and rear. Also if you want your door panels to fit back over without cutting holes where the speakers are, make sure the top depth is not a bunch either. When installing you should be able to use 2 or 3 of the mounting points of the stock speakers and may have to drill a new hole for the 3rd or 4th screw. Installation is super easy.

EDIT: Pioneers work great and are relatively cheap. You can get more expensive ones too that sound great, I have pioneer 4ways in the front and 3ways in the rear.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

i dont trust crutchfield at all. had too many customers get the wrong things for their cars gng by what crutchfield said!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM

Well you have to use common sense, but everytime I have bought stuff for 4 different cars, I have gotten everything I needed and fit like expected. I mean you cant just go on there and buy right away, like anything you need to do your research. Find something there you like then go check it out at your local stereo shop/BestBuy/Circuit city and check 'em out. Then go from there.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 AM
bitbandit is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to crutchfield a few weeks back to see speaker sizes and it told me they had not researched my vehicle yet.
-1 for crutchfield

Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM

What vehicle do you have? Sometimes they have webpages down and that is their generic message. Also if they dont have your year of vehicle find one that is similar, or just go out and measure the diameter, its not hard to do. then look for that size of speaker on there. You dont have to buy from them, I have just found good deals on things that work great for my vehicles and have had no problems with them. I hear all the time that others dont have as good of an experience as I do, I guess I am just lucky[sm=smiley4.gif].