Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

01 2dr blazer 2wd sas project

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 PM
Beginning Member
Tenthjester65 is on a distinguished road
Default 01 2dr blazer 2wd sas project

Okay so I have my trust 2001 2dr blazer
2wd I'm wanting to do some work to. I'm 5 speed right now and I either want to remain that way or maybe add a floor shifter and go auto. Also want to go from 2wd to 4wd sas up front and maybe at some point beefed axel outback. was thinking eletric transfer case. Not sure if this is possible or not but I am more than willing to jump out and do it . I was told as for tranny swap I can just have that changed up in the computer have to have some other things flashed as well . But can it be done . I'm not looking to do a bunch of wireharnesses bs just pull and replace . If it will work where will I put the transfer case . Do I need different crossbars underneath. should I do leafs all the way aro . Is there a kit for that . Plz all input welcome

Old 07-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Beginning Member

Help someone?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Patience!!

Yes it can be done, no it's not a simple bolt on and go. You will need wiring to control the transmission which also requires programming of the computer to control the trans. Your current trans would need the tail shaft replaced with a 4wd shaft which requires disassembly of the trans which makes it easier/more economical to just buy a 4wd trans. For the tcase I'd recommend a manual shift like a 231 otherwise you need wiring and computer programming to make that work as well. Yes you will need to modify or swap your cross member. You could do a divorced tcase to avoid the trans swap but that would be some creative work to fit under a 2 door and likely end up with crap driveline angles so not the best way to go. As for leaves all around that's easiest and Google it for kits I'm not helping there sorry.

Spend the next 6-12 months reading about this online then if you still want to do it spend another 6-12 gathering parts and more reading then go for it.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member

i have spent most of the year i have had it readng up on it think what i wanted to do . been doing more reseatch here latey . i think sas is is the way im gonna go. just haveing trouble getting all the details right. i have seen post on here where eople went from 5 speed to auto. im wanting auto. im trying to find out whats up. i know tht i have to get the ecm flashed wih al the new info. i was woudering it i can go to the 4l60e from a 4x4 2 dr blazer with the married transfer case . wanting to know if i need that trucks whole harness or just a certin part for the tranny and case. programming is not a problem. just need to know what wires i need. than i wanna add the center consol shifter and matching console. i think at that point i should be to use the drive shafts from that blazer also right ? what axles would be best? im still debating myself. also how much lift can i do with those stock drive shafts?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Patience!!

Your current trans would need the tail shaft replaced with a 4wd shaft which requires disassembly of the trans

I don't think you can do that with a manual trans.

The whole harness is all combined, so you would need to change the whole thing, or buy a complete harness, take both of them apart and start integrating that one into your stock one somehow.

To run a floor shifter, you would need to have an electrically controlled transfer case. Which is a big mess because you would need to change out the interior wiring harness as well.

It's not a small job to swap to an auto. I did it on my Sonoma, but I was tearing the truck completely down anyway so I just installed EVERYTHING from the auto truck to make sure everything would work properly. All wiring harnesses, the dash, the computer etc. all came from the auto truck.

You won't be able to use the driveshafts, even people running SAS's on 4x4's need new driveshafts.

Aftermarket trans controller and manual shift transfer case might be the easiest way to do it.