Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

'02 Trailblazer SS or 350 Motor Swap to '97 LT Blazer?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation '02 Trailblazer SS or 350 Motor Swap to '97 LT Blazer?

Is this possible ladies and gentlemen?

I'm thinking about trying to find a motor and doing this down the road... by the time the swap is done, I'll have 4.10 gears in the rear AND front. I already know the first questions are going to be, "Why not just go with a 350 Crate Motor?!". Well I may, but just seeing if this is a possibility and weighing my options! What all would have to be done... let's talk.

First lets talk about the SS motor (which is what I would REALLY love to have because of the power this thing puts out, SHEESH!)... Would I need the tranny as well or would my tranny bolt up? Will I need to fabricate motor/tranny mounts for this to bolt in? Just not sure the differences in the motor of the '02 Trailblazer SS and the '02 Trailblazer LT - 4.3L (which is practically the same as my motor now). Here's the specs on the SS motor from '02

ENGINE TYPE: pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 364 cu in, 5967cc
Power (SAE net): 395 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 400 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Now let's talk about the 350 - the Vortec 5700 L31 to be exact (not sure if they make these as a crate). Is this a bolt in application? I know my 4.3L Vortec is just a 350 missing the two extra pistons, so I would think it would literally just bolt in! I think I've heard I can use the same transmission too... any input on this from anyone? Would I HAVE to purchase a new tranny with just a crate 350? Here's the specs from the 5700 L31 (these are just kind of thrown together from the information I gathered of this motor)

ENGINE TYPE: 5.7L V8 Gen 1e Small Block
Displacement: 350 cid (5736 cc)
Power (SAE net):
216 hp (161 kW) @ 4000 rpm (Propane)
196 hp (146 kW) @ 4000 rpm (Natural Gas)
Torque (SAE net):
308 lb-ft (418 Nm) @ 1400 rpm (Propane)
283 lb-ft (384 Nm) @ 1600 rpm (Natural Gas)

SO what do yall think?? I'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to somehow get the SS motor in my truck but if it would be a bunch of BS than I'd def prefer an easier option! Which would be an easier replacement, or does anyone have another motor you think would be better and easier. I just would like to get a V8 in this thing eventually with the LEAST amount of having to replace big parts (tranny, driveshafts, motor mounts, etc). If someone knows of a motor or direct replacement without having to change the transmission or motor mounts, please let me know.... lets get a good discussion going on here!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by shotnva777
Is this possible ladies and gentlemen?
So you want the trailblazer engine in your blazer? Your talking about the ls2 engine that was in the trailblazer ss (2006-2009)? When talking about doing any engine swap I'd either visit the s10 forums or the s10v8 website. But from doing a little research and from what I can tell, there are at least a few things you'd have to replace to get it to work. This includes: The fan, the exhaust manifolds, The oil pan, oil pickup, harness, mounts, PCM, Harness, etc. But if you have the money and time, it would be something unique and yes some serious power.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been gathering info on getting a V8 into my '94 Jimmy, so I'll share what I know. The 6.0 from a Trailblazer SS is a gen III GM V8, similar externally to an LS1 from a corvette/f-body car. If you wanted a 6.0 the best bet would be to get one from a pickup. Look up swapping an LS1 into a 2nd generation 4x4 blazer. It's far from straight forward. I don't think there is anyone making an oil pan to get an LS style engine into a 4x4 blazer. There is a 2WD pan but it won't work because of the front axle. The oil pan would have to be custom. I'm not sure what you would use for motor mounts for a LS motor to a 4x4 blazer because I haven't looked it up, but there might be something available. Transmission wouldn't work directly. LS motors share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a regular Small Block Chevy but because of spacing it won't just bolt up and work. Also, getting the accessories to work on the front of the engine would be a nightmare, meaning finding the right combo that would fit. I wouldn't attempt this unless you're a really good welder and have a lot of experience building, modifying, and fixing cars.

OK. Now for a Vortec 350. This is a more reasonable swap. First, there is an oil pan available that will work available through multiple sources that will clear your front axle. You will need different motor mounts but this isn't something to be concerned about. If you really want to do it, look at the link posted below, and see everything they went through to get it to work properly. Someone swapped a vortec 350 into their ZR2 and kept the stock transmission. It's a good writeup. You could get 400 HP out of a vortec 350 without too much work. I think this is the way I'm going to go and attempt to keep my transmission until I can give it a proper rebuild to take more power.

ZR2MIKE's 5.7 V8 BlaZeR2

Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 91chevywt
I've been gathering info on getting a V8 into my '94 Jimmy, so I'll share what I know. The 6.0 from a Trailblazer SS is a gen III GM V8, similar externally to an LS1 from a corvette/f-body car. If you wanted a 6.0 the best bet would be to get one from a pickup. Look up swapping an LS1 into a 2nd generation 4x4 blazer. It's far from straight forward. I don't think there is anyone making an oil pan to get an LS style engine into a 4x4 blazer. There is a 2WD pan but it won't work because of the front axle. The oil pan would have to be custom. I'm not sure what you would use for motor mounts for a LS motor to a 4x4 blazer because I haven't looked it up, but there might be something available. Transmission wouldn't work directly. LS motors share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a regular Small Block Chevy but because of spacing it won't just bolt up and work. Also, getting the accessories to work on the front of the engine would be a nightmare, meaning finding the right combo that would fit. I wouldn't attempt this unless you're a really good welder and have a lot of experience building, modifying, and fixing cars.

OK. Now for a Vortec 350. This is a more reasonable swap. First, there is an oil pan available that will work available through multiple sources that will clear your front axle. You will need different motor mounts but this isn't something to be concerned about. If you really want to do it, look at the link posted below, and see everything they went through to get it to work properly. Someone swapped a vortec 350 into their ZR2 and kept the stock transmission. It's a good writeup. You could get 400 HP out of a vortec 350 without too much work. I think this is the way I'm going to go and attempt to keep my transmission until I can give it a proper rebuild to take more power.

ZR2MIKE's 5.7 V8 BlaZeR2
Thanks for the post, info and detailed reply!!! HELPS A LOT!!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

91 Chevy, that site has a good amount of information for a v8 swap. Nice find man. I clicked on it and started reading into it. I have been thinking about a 5.7 350 v8 swap for awhile now because I can't afford the ramjet 350. I just need to get a ballpark cost of how much money I would need to get it done. I would like to measure how much it would take if it was a diy install versus a shop to install.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by tibby
91 Chevy, that site has a good amount of information for a v8 swap. Nice find man. I clicked on it and started reading into it. I have been thinking about a 5.7 350 v8 swap for awhile now because I can't afford the ramjet 350. I just need to get a ballpark cost of how much money I would need to get it done. I would like to measure how much it would take if it was a diy install versus a shop to install.
I agree... I want something that is practically bolt in. Where I can use the same transmission and everything. I want to be able to look around at junk yards, find me a used carb OR fuel injected 350 out of a wrecked truck or car and toss it in there one weekend in my garage! The Trailblazer SS motor is OUT OF THE question after looking into it, it would cost INCREDIBLY too much for my budget! Pull out 4.3L and PCM, throw in 5.7L and it's PCM (and fabbed motor mounts if needed). That's the type of thing I'm looking for, I want that V8 sound and power.... though I hardly EVER use the power!