Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1993 S15 jimmy "build"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Fender done
All I need to do is add the body molding and flare, but that will come once I take the other off and put this one on.

Attached Thumbnails 1993 S15 jimmy "build"-dsc_8353_zpsf2823a02.jpg   1993 S15 jimmy "build"-dsc_8360_zps06e21a83.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Looks good, what did you use on it?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I used automotivetouchup.com black, matches perfect, and for the clear I used matrix systems 2 part urethan clear, ms-52 to be exact. Then wetsanded with 1000 grit, then 3200, then cut it with wizards cutting compound, then scratch x 2.0 from meguiars, then finished with meguiars glazing compound.

i could have just left it without the wetsanding ect, but I have ocd and am a perfectionist. I really missed painting cars, I am glad that I still have it in my blood.

the matrix systems urethane clear is really good stuff, lays down real nice, easy to spray, drys fast (depending on which you get) the ms-52 dries pretty quick, can be wet sanded in a day or 2. and holds up, I touched up some spots on the tail gate last summer and they still look as good as when I did them, blending in perfectly with the truck.

and automotive touchup... what more can I say about that site. good prices, good quality paint, fast shipping, perfect match to the paint color if its OEM

Old 04-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Beginning Member
Burnt0ast is on a distinguished road

Subscribed, would a fellow Minnesotaner be able to buy a set of LED tailights from you?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
yuka42 is on a distinguished road

Love those LED lights Rich. Very cool. I'm gonna do the same as you on the bumpers. Paint's all chipped off and looking rough on mine. Did you ever get to painting the wheels?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by richphotos
They are wired in a series of 4, so if one goes out, only 4 will go out.
But these are some of the best LED's on the market, I believe they are the same, or better than the ones they use in Audis, BMW's caddys ect.
When given clean constant power (I have them running at a constant 12v with a voltage regulators) they will last probably longer than the truck.
Speaking on this post... Chelsea was driving away.. I noticed a small void in the tail lights on further inspection.. I noticed 4 bulbs out. I am not really sure why. But, thankfully, with how I wired them up. All I have to do is pull apart the tail, solder in some new LED's and its done.

Just ordered 20 of the same bin and lot number of the LED's on ebay.
Also nice that the tails are still working.

Again, I am not sure why they went out, who knows. maybe it was a bad solder connection. I will find out once I pull them apart.
I believe i saw that tail in the summer time with some moisture. So it could just be a bad solder connection.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by yuka42
Love those LED lights Rich. Very cool. I'm gonna do the same as you on the bumpers. Paint's all chipped off and looking rough on mine. Did you ever get to painting the wheels?
I am just seeing this now. Sorry I did not respond sooner. I have not painted the wheels yet. Hell I have not really done anything to it in the last year. Work got too much of me.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Burnt0ast
Subscribed, would a fellow Minnesotaner be able to buy a set of LED tailights from you?
I currently am not building any sets for anyone. I do not have the time for it and do not want a customer waiting for a set longer then they should have. When I do have time, I will let quite a few people who want some done, know.
Thank you.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:58 PM
BF Veteran

Well, it looks like the jimmy will be retired at some point here.
Since it still runs and drives going to start putting a little money here and there aside and find a mint low mileage first gen next spring, which usually pop up on CL once in awhile for pretty decent prices (once the snow is gone)
Get it undercoated if it already is not undercoated ect.
The rust on this thing has began to be too much for me to want to handle, and being at 208,000 miles, I just do not care.