Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2000 Boring Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

Here are some pictures of the front end damage
Wow dude i am sorry to hear that. By the pictures though, the damage isnt terrible. The thing i would be most concerned with and i am sure so are you is the pull. Could that mean the frame is bent, to be honest yes. But blazer frames are very tough and durable, mainly due to their box design. definitely one of the reasons why they can pull 5000 pounds. if it is only that bad, a body shop could probably use a frame machine to unbend it. Or it could just be a bent tie rod end. hard to tell with small impacts liker that. Either way, glad to see you are ok and i hope to see you back up n this forum to continue posting good mod ideas )

Old 12-30-2016, 08:08 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Well the wheel hit with the front end so it may be a tie rod. The frame looks okay. The bumper hit the tree on the hill first so that took the majority of the hit. The bumper bracket also kinked. The grill only broke clips on one end so I may just get a junk yard bumper and braket and drive with a bent hood and fender until spring. The fender got hit enough to hurt the core support but only a little bit on the end where the fender bolts up, but very minor. I also need a headlight but they are about $6 at my local u pull it. I might just fix it myself instead of risking insurance totaling it or causing my insurance to go up. ($400 a year discount for accident free).

Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM

Also my dad works with a guy that owns a body shop and he said he would help me out so I might just have them paint it in the spring once I get new parts, unless I can find all black front end parts. I need to find a nicer bumper. I always hated my stock one.

Last edited by Tajohns34; 12-30-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
Also my dad works with a guy that owns a body shop and he said he would help me out so I might just have them paint it in the spring once I get new parts, unless I can find all black front end parts. I need to find a nicer bumper. I always hated my stock one.
From what I have seen on ebay, most of the oem parts do come in primer black. All you need to do is spray them and clear them. I am glad to hear that you have a connection In a body shop. That is always a good thing. From what I have seen in your pics, most of the damage is minimal. And if all you did was hit an enbankment, you probably just have some minor suspension components bent on the one side. But overall it does look easily fixable. I would probably just fix it myself I were you. It would be cheaper with the insurance for the long run I have read through your whole build thread before and you seem more than capable of bringing her back to life. The nice things about blazers are the parts are cheap lol

Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 PM

So I got the headlight for $5 and it is in excellent shape. The hood however was in worse shape than mine is. Here are some updates however.

The bumper actually buckled in the middle and just slid the adjusters back. It is hard to see in this picture

Name:  20161230_071034_zpsdb3altnt.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  87.9 KB

Snagged a good bumper and a grill for $48 from the u-pull it on Saturday. I didn't really have time to pull a fender or a hood since I had plans and I wanted to be able put it on before we went out. It didn't quite fit in my back seat.

Here are the 2 bumpers, I forgot how easy they are to swap out.
Name:  20161231_130612_zpsh1vl2dkb.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  125.8 KB

Got it all back together. I will worry about painting the grill and bumper in the spring, too cold to worry about it right now. I just want to get it up and running for now.
Name:  20161231_144728_zpskaev8xo0.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  101.2 KB

Here you can see how far the fender got pushed in by the bumper.
Name:  20170101_125746_zpspgwapy2h.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  119.2 KB

I still have no idea how the exhaust got bent like it did. It actualy bent on the curve that goes over the axle and pushed it forward about 3". I so I pulled it off and jumped up and down on the tailpipe until it moved back into place. The hanger still needs a bit of adjustment but otherwise it fits just fine now. I don't see any suspension damage but it does have a pretty good pull to the left. It is at the shop with an alignment scheduled tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Starting Member

So I got the headlight for $5 and it is in excellent shape. The hood however was in worse shape than mine is. Here are some updates however.

The bumper actually buckled in the middle and just slid the adjusters back. It is hard to see in this picture

Snagged a good bumper and a grill for $48 from the u-pull it on Saturday. I didn't really have time to pull a fender or a hood since I had plans and I wanted to be able put it on before we went out. It didn't quite fit in my back

I still have no idea how the exhaust got bent like it did. It actualy bent on the curve that goes over the axle and pushed it forward about 3". I so I pulled it off and jumped up and down on the tailpipe until it moved back into place. The hanger still needs a bit of adjustment but otherwise it fits just fine now. I don't see any suspension damage but it does have a pretty good pull to the left. It is at the shop with an alignment scheduled tomorrow.
I am glad to see that you are able to find some good parts at a good price. Your blazer always has been a sweet build. Hopefully all it needs is an alignment. In The many cars I have seen, blazer's have a fairly simple suspension setup. There is only so many things that could cause a pull. Most of them since it's a blazer are also cheap. Can't wait to see it done! It will look better than it did

Old 01-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Thanks man. So I got it aligned yesterday. Apparently all it did was knock the toe out but didn't damage anything. I will drive it as is until spring and then I will focus on getting a new hood, fender, and inner fender. I also need to paint the bumper and grill because I do not like chrome.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Starting Member

Thanks man. So I got it aligned yesterday. Apparently all it did was knock the toe out but didn't damage anything. I will drive it as is until spring and then I will focus on getting a new hood, fender, and inner fender. I also need to paint the bumper and grill because I do not like chrome.
Well that's great. I am also with you on the chrome. I think that blazer bumpers look better painted a color than chrome. But yeh wait for the winter to be done so you can have some nice temperature to finish up. Might not be a bad idea to start collecting nice cheap parts though over the winter and store them

Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 AM

I thought about getting parts but I have nowhere to store them except for my parents' garage. Plus I really don't like going to the u-pull-it when it is so cold. If we get a nice 50 degree Saturday I might go to a few. I don't get home from work until around 6pm and all the yards near me close at 5.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road

Man sorry to hear about the damage. I know I've followed your build along side mine, and I had the trans going on mine about same time you had your incident. Props to you sticking with it though, it was very unfortunate that in my current situation I didn't have the place to work on it or store anything, and I was getting frustrated with the mechanical bill that started racking up here as of recent so when an offer hit my desk I took it.

I definitely look forward to following your continued build as the days get warmer even if my Jimmy is no longer my Jimmy

Quick Reply: 2000 Boring Blazer Build