Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Engine Changing - Removing Front End for easier access

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:47 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

In another thread he was talking about how he wanted to remove them both is why I mention it, wasn't trying to be a d**k, sorry.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member
lt1/ta is on a distinguished road

Thanks Random,I was not wanting to ruffle any feathers either with my reply.I was just trying to help him save some time on the motor pull only.

I think I might start a new thread to ask how long and how did others remove just the motor.Just for curiosity,because I really like this forum and reading what other have done.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you are prepared to recover then recharge the A/C system... If you pull the entire front clip, you will have to disconnect the A/C.

The ABS & brake lines may also present a problem.

While having the open access is nice, you are creating a LOT more work in pulling the front clip off to remove the engine/transmission.

It is possible to remove the engine & transmission (less transfer case) in one piece with only removing the hood. But that all depends on what you have available to you in terms of hoist (cherry picker) & sling. A good, high lift hoist and an adjustable engine sling makes this job MUCH easier

Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Beginning Member
Hard Driver is on a distinguished road

I removed the front clip on my first gen when I did the V8 swap,it made things much easier since I did the swap by myself.Definitely label wires and hoses etc. As for alignment I took a pencil and outlined around all attachment points before I removed body parts,it made reassembly a snap.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

I left the front end on on the '89 during the swap. The Jimmy already had the core support removed & sold, so that's the only reason.

Way too much work for me. Especially up here where your guaranteed to bust off 90% of the bolts due to rust. It's actually easier to unbolt the driveline & take them out separately in that case.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

Smitty Smithsonite makes a great point. If rusted and stuck bolts are expected, that changes the formula.

Also, on Gen 1, there is less need to remove the clip since there is actually room to get a wrench in between things. on the Gen 2, I can not figure how to get at the motor mount bolts!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

You need to go straight in .. which is much easier after removing the rad & grill - although it's not necessary. Just a pain to try to see where your at. Same for getting the torque converter bolts out through the starter opening. Lots o extensions, and maybe a swivel or 2.