Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

How to paint engine on a 1994 4.3 V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:05 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road
Default How to paint engine on a 1994 4.3 V6

Looking for opinions for my future build.

I'm going to rebuild the V6 completely and the block and heads need some paint to finish the job.

Now as it is no small block how to paint that thingy? Not too sure if painting the block orange would be o.k. for the V6.

Possible schemes:

Block in black and heads in silver, covers in black shrink. (Have access to excellent silver paint which will definitively stick)
Block in silver and heads in silver, covers in black shrink. (Hehe that's Ferrari finish for the old models we restore)
Block in Chevy orange and heads black, covers in black shrink. (Favorite at the moment)
Block in Chevy orange and heads in silver, covers in black shrink (Second at the moment)
Block in Chevy orange and heads in black, covers in silver or polish and clear-cote.

Opinions please!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I like the second option personally.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 AM

I think you are right.

It's not a V8 and therefore the orange would be a bit too much.
Black for the block is pretty standard and IMO would indicate a cast iron block, while silver will give it an aluminium block touch (which it is not).

So changing favourite to black block, silver heads, black shrink covers.

More opinions?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Paint it any color you want to, it does not matter the block, the material.. paint it how you would like it.

People have painted engine blocks all the colors you can think of. Its all personal preference.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Just be sure you prime what ever your painting first, then paint it.Make sure you use high heat paint.If you use just paint?It will peel off in time.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
DougGuy is on a distinguished road

Well, the IRONY of painting the engine is that with all the crap crammed on top of it once assembled and dropped back in the vehicle, YOU CAN'T SEE IT!! :shock:

Old 11-26-2015, 02:13 AM

I like it!

I'll most probably go with option two. Silver block, silver heads and black shrink on the covers. Cooling is not a problem with the V6, else I'll go and paint the block in black as well.
The plan is to uncover a bit of the engine. I'll reroute all the sensors cables and spark plug wires will be attached to little hangers on the covers bolts.

The paint I have access to is used on all engines we put together. Ferrari used to paint all blocks in silver and the inside with a compound in yellow to allow oil to flow back easy and cover the impurities from sand casting the aluminium blocks.
We use a special primer which, if applied properly sticks like hell. Quite expensive stuff but extremely good. 1 lbs about 35$.
The silver is even worse as it is an aviation grade paint. Paint and hardener, temp resistant to over 150 °C (hmm - 302 F). Has not let us down for the last couple of years. Got cars back for service and had to retouch only scuff marks on the oil pan.

DougGuy you are right. I have to take some nice pictures before putting it back in