Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project: Grim

Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member
Absit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
You can actually use a rough texture tooth paste, a rag and some elbow grease and that'll help with the fogginess your talking about. Or use a polisher I you have one. Saw that on trucks on powerblock Sunday on spike tv. Lol
I'll have to try that before I drop the cash on a new headlight, thanks.

Update
I got the Jimmy back together and moved it to its new home, a buddy's garage. It shares the garage with a Mazda pickup and while it's just as tight as my garage, it does have electricity and he has most of the tools I don't. I'm hoping to get to wire brushing the frame and wheels on Monday or Tuesday. For the frame I have several cans of Rustoelum Rust Reformer, primer, Rustoleum Hammered (black), and clear coat.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a nice project,good luck.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Beginning Member

As I'm ripping this thing apart I'm coming across a LOT more rust than I imagined would be there. This is my first time really tearing into a vehicle, how much is acceptable on non-visible surfaces (inside of rear bumper, for example)?

Tomorrow I hope to get the wheels painted, spray the front bumper, undercoat the front bumper cover to hide the cracks, spray the tow hooks and front bumper braces. The rear bumper needs more grind time before it's ready for paint.. Damn thing took me 4 hours to get off and apart.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member

Paint work on the wheels and rust reformer on the hitch, hitch bracket, front bumper, and tow hooks. Will do the rear bumper after I get some grinding in, now I'm out of town for a week. The bumper didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, I thought the rubberized undercoating would be thicker..oh well, time to brainstorm something else.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe a roll-on bed liner would be thicker. You can use a roller for big areas and a paint brush for smaller ones. One gallon does a standerd 8 foot bed. (Don't qoute me, look this up to make sure). And a roller kit with one gallon of liner can be had for under $100. And that should do your bumper and then some.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Like the black rims I still like mine after 5 months.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member

Worked briefly on the rusty undercarriage today, using Rustoleum Rust Reformer in a rattle can. I'm also going to work with my welder tonight to design the front and rear bumpers. I'll finish the frame off with Rustoleum Hammered (black).

Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the only bad thing about the s series vehicles. They have a lot of frame showing. Gotta keep the undercoating sprayed. With a body lift it's really noticable. Ditto on the black wheels, looks like they came out good.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Beginning Member

Quick concept for the front bumper. More detailed designs after proper measurements are taken.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Starting Member
EzTec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
You can actually use a rough texture tooth paste, a rag and some elbow grease and that'll help with the fogginess your talking about. Or use a polisher I you have one. Saw that on trucks on powerblock Sunday on spike tv. Lol
The best I have ever seen and done, was take a really fine sand paper (800-1000 grit) that can be used to wet sand, and wet sand the lens. Then use a polishing compound and a buffer, and make it sparkle. Then, spray a clear coat on the lens. Guaranteed to never fog again.