Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Jeep-killing Chevy. 2000 4x4 Blazer

Old 03-18-2017, 07:40 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Changed pace a little bit on the blazer today, decided to get engine and transmission in. Got the motor mounts bolted on to the engine...Well actually I got my girl to come help out today so she bolted them up.

Seperated the tranny and t-case, I'm leaving the t-case out for now so I can swap the output shaft into it from the np-231 I have kicking around.

I dropped the tranny oil pan and changed the filter and pan gasket.

Bolted up the engine and tranny

And then dropped it all in. Had to let the air out of the tires to get it low enough to get the engine over the front crossmember lol.

Had to get some hardware, so that's where she sits for tonight. I'll get it all bolted in and the tranny cross member/ new tranny mount in tomorrow.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Coming along nicely. That engine bay is gonna sparkle by the time she's done!

Last edited by DonL; 03-18-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Just noticed that she looks nice and level riding on flats!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

it is coming along pretty quick. How level is it now with the engine and trans in?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Thanks y'all

She was 3 inches higher in the front than rear before, now it's 1.5 higher.

once the blocks get here the rear will be half an inch higher, and I figure I have another 500+ lbs to go in the front which should level me out that last inch. So it should sit Almost perfectly level afterwards.

I'm considering getting shackle hangers like I used up front and welding them to the frame in the rear below the factory bushings, so I don't need blocks...But this is just an idea and only time will tell.

Sold my old rear end to a guy who's putting it underneath a 39 Ford with a Flathead V8 today. It's nice to see it go to a cool project like that(plus, I get the satisfaction of seeing Ford parts replaced by Chevy parts)

Old 03-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Starting Member
ZachC540 is on a distinguished road

Makes me jealous, seeing all this progress lol. I've had my axles and swap parts laying around forever! Just waiting on my shop to get to a point where it's usable. Keep up the good work!

Old 03-25-2017, 08:38 PM

Thanks man, hope you get the opportunity to start soon, mine was sitting in pieces for quite a bit lol.

So instead of paying to have a valve job done my grandfather offered to teach me how to do it myself! It was pretty easy once I got the hang of it.

Grind the seats/angles on the head

Cut the valves down on the lathe

Used valve grinding compound, and spun each valve in place to ensure it was seating properly

Got everything for the one head set, it was nice to learn a new skill.

Cleaned up prepped the completed head for paint. Also prepped the Astro steering box and new waterpump to be sprayed at the same time, and got them all sprayed.

I'm going to get the one head all assembled and installed before starting on the second one. (Note: I decided against milling the heads)

Also got my Corvette servo and lift blocks in the mail, so they'll be going in tomorrow after I get the head all squared away

Found out power steering pumps out of 2500 pickups run a higher pressure/ more flow, and bolt right up, so I acquired a remaned pump out of a 2000 2500 Silverado

Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Nicely done!

Old 03-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road

Good information to know about the power steering pump! So they're just heavier duty i assume? I'm in need of a new one anyhow, current pump is on her way out....just can't stop whining lol

Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 PM

Yeah, it's supposed to be easier to turn larger tires/aired down tires off-road. Ah yeah, that is like nails on a chalkboard to me lol.

Got my valves in, ls6 "beehive" springs, and comp cams 787 retainers on with new locks

Head bolted on and torqued to spec along with waterpump. Rockers were I'm good shape still, so I cleaned them up, and installed them with new pushrods

Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It hurts to see those fuel lines bent around like that! Nice work on everything else though!

If you aren't going to use those knuckles, I could use them! I'm about to redo the ball joints & steering on my '74. I have a 2wd box to drop in that will allow for cross-over steering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Jeep-killing Chevy. 2000 4x4 Blazer