The Chop Shop This section is for display of photo editing work, and requests for photo editing, sigs and avatars, etc.

89 Blazer rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Starting Member
bogalbreth is on a distinguished road
Default 89 Blazer rebuild

I have an 89 blazer, very clean, nothing wrong with it. I would like to take it apart and rebuild it with new motor, new interior, new paint etc. I have never done something like this before. Would appreciate some advice about where to start and how to proceed. Thanks

Bo Galbreth

Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member
jasond is an unknown quantity at this point

What general direction do you want to take the build? My advice would be to form a plan, then tackle one project at a time, and stick with that project until it's completed. If you jump from project to project, nothing will ever get done, and you'll get burned out fast.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member
JTWard is on a distinguished road

I'd start with the project plan as jasound suggested like 1.drive train, 2. Body 3. etc. you get the idea. Then start with the drive train. If you don't have any issues with the drive train, then just get a engine from "Jasper" they will build you your exact engine or any combination you'd like. Any cam piston crank or performance or just do a stock engine. Use your digital camera and take pictures of any component your presently rehabbing. I used U.S.General for my springs for my 88 K5 and these people know just what you need. IE: if you look at your front springs it looks like 2 leaf springs on each side, but it's really only one, pardon my spelling but it's called an Epoloatic because really only one piece of steel, it looks like two.

I'd then start with the body, What does it need ? Only fix what needs to be fixed. body projects are the most often the ones that bring a restoration to a standing halt. Find a good old body shop tell them you want to do all the labor intensive work yourself, and they should look the truck over and give you a 'To Do' list. When your done take it by them to see what else, I'd let the painter have a look at it. He or she can tell just looking at it where the problem are. Bodywork is a craft, and after you've done 500 paint jobs you get good at it. If you've never painted a car you have no idea what it's going to take to do yourself. That's why I'd do all the strip-down work and sanding, sanding and more sanding and let a professional shop take from there. This why their in business. But you can do a lot of the disassembly work. Lastly is the interior. This is an area you can do a lot and only need a shop for the seat covers installation. But what ever you do, don't jump from one project line of thought to a second and on because that will lead you to a garage full of dirty rusty parts and no progress, and you'll want to give up as you've become overwhelmed at the shear magnitude of work to be done. Good Luck !

Last edited by JTWard; 09-13-2016 at 10:23 AM.