Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

removing front bumper guard-help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Deezy Steez is on a distinguished road
Default removing front bumper guard-help

ive just bought 98 blazer ls 4dr 4x4
the guy before me had a sticker fetish of sorts and put some gross 4x4 stickers above the rear wheelwells and also what looks like a dodge 4x4 emblem on the tailgate.. ill be removing this as well as the stock emblems and door mouldings this weekend, but was wondering if there was a way to remove the plastic moulding that sticks out and surrounds the front bumper. i.e. on top of the chrome bumper below the grill. I wasnt sure if this moulding was attached via adhesive like the side mouldings or whether it was bolted directly to the bumper and couldnt be removed? either way let me know my options as im sure someone has looked into this before.

Thanks

Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

^^ What? ^^ What does that have to do with removing an impact strip over 2 months ago?
Also if you have a VW Blazer, PLEASE post pics!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 PM

haha das auto.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough
Default Front Bumper Removal .

Front Bumper Fascia Replacement
<A href="#ss1-307780">Removal Procedure
  1. Remove the radiator grille. Refer to Grille Replacement in Exterior Trim.

2. Remove the retainers from the fascia.
  3. Remove the front bumper fascia from the vehicle.
<A href="#ss2-307780">Installation Procedure

1. Install the front bumper fascia to the vehicle.
  2. Install the fascia retainers.
  3. Install the radiator grille. Refer to Grille Replacement in Exterior Trim.
Sorry I could not get the pictures to come up.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

DKSDAD....please explain where you tried to copy and paste this from? IE a link to the thread...

Anyway, we've discussed this many times. Craig was the last one to be told it can't/shouldn't be done. Well, in reality it can but you're looking at a lot of finishing work on your hands. I just wanna make sure we're talking about the same thing (you will have the same bumper as me so I'll use a pic of my truck):

If thats the plastic piece you're talking about then it can be removed BUT it's bolted on. So you're going to have a line of holes which would look much worse then the trim IMO. And since you have a 98 I'm betting that front bumper is plastic, so trying to fill those holes would be a PITA. Hate to burst your bubble, but it's really more work then it's worth to remove the trim. Why don't you just paint it body colored?

Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 PM
BF Veteran

erm... i got a chrome bumper off a burned down blazer to replace the mangled wreck that hid under the ss bumper cover.
After skuffing and undercoating, the little holes bugged me enough that i dumped $14 on that little guy. it's called an 'Impact Strip' and it's not bolted on, its pressure clipped in. each hole lines up with a little plastic spear head. run the spears in and it stays. peeling it off, wouldn't be too hard, but smothing it over would be a hassle.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Yeah I suppose they are pressure clipped on. By bolted I meant that . Either way, you end up with holes to fill.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I was trying to remove the front bumper off my 95 Blazer and a GM Parts dept guy sent that to me.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
BF Veteran

the WHOLE bumper off is easy. 6 bolts. 16mm me thinks. they are not factory weld nuts though. the bolt runs through a clip which allows for propper fit by moving front and back a little. 2 on eith side of the frame rail (4 total) and one on each end. GL, it's easy but the 2 center most bolts are SllLooOOoOOWwWWw going.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 AM

haha this threads from like 3 months ago and for some reason just got a bunch of activity, when i painted my grille and emblem i looked at the bumper and yeah it has wayy to many clips through the bumper to the impact strip. However, i can buy an lt oem bumper which comes factory without the impact strip holes maybe one day!

Quick Reply: removing front bumper guard-help