Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

1988 with TBI needs to go

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:52 PM
88BlueBeast is on a distinguished road
Default 1988 with TBI needs to go

Hey gang,
New to the group. Just picked up an 88 with 74k miles on the clock. It's super clean, almost like a barn find. Lot of friends have told me to stab an LS in there and call it a day. I'm not doing that. Going to keep it all Gen I. I've been out the build game for a few years and only just started hunting down the latest info. I want to throw the TBI in the trash can because it doesn't flow and it sucks. Looked at a few ways to inject it. I'm thinking Wieand intake and throttle body then add a Holley 950 commander. Thoughts? Ideas? Rants?
Thanks

Old 10-05-2015, 12:01 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

I dont think a holly 950 is Gen1 . At 74k shouldnt be too much wrong with tbi. It will work good and flow over enough for that engine, if you know what to do with it.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by LeWhite
I dont think a holly 950 is Gen1 . At 74k shouldnt be too much wrong with tbi. It will work good and flow over enough for that engine, if you know what to do with it.
Sorry, I didn't give all the information. I'm going to buy a crate short block with 9 to 1 forged bottom end, comp cams, AFR vortec heads 190s. The TBI is junk. It's going in the trash can when I swap engines. I am not going back with a replacement TBI either. The Wieand intake I spoke of is like a TPI upgrade. Post pictures later.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=88BlueBeast;655380]Sorry, I didn't give all the information. I'm going to buy a crate short block with 9 to 1 forged bottom end, comp cams, AFR vortec heads 190s. The TBI is junk. It's going in the trash can when I swap engines. I am not going back with a replacement TBI either. The Wieand intake I spoke of ishttp://http://www.carid.com/weiand/i...1E5hoCtKjw_wcB

Last edited by 88BlueBeast; 10-05-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

WeiandŽ 7540 - Stealth RAM Series Intake Manifold

Don't forget to change out the fuel pump also. Sounds like a lot of money and work to get around a very reliable and easy thing such as TBI. Best of luck to you.

I have a modified factory TBI on a 327 similar to what you are going for. It doesn't start pulling until 3000rpm and so far the only thing I run out of is fuel. I have not got around to putting in the 454 injectors yet. I had the throttle body bored out to put in 48mm throttle blades from a TPI throttle body and raise the injector pods about .25". Of course some changes to the fuel and spark tables but it should be good for 350hp if I can get the fuel in it. Some day I'll make it to the dyno.

Last edited by TZFBird; 10-06-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM

I looked at the Ram Jet 350 crate. Makes pretty good power out of the box. I would have to change the cam and the heads just don't move enough air. So I started looking at building my own injected monster. The Holley system is a bit pricy at 2900 bucks. I think I'm going to rebuild my block. Going to nitrate the crack, shot ping the rods and stab new .030 slugs in there with the cam I want. AFR vortec 190 heads and the Holley system. And headers with true duals out, no cats. I think I should be good for a tick over 400hp and make all the bottom end torque I'm looking for. I will use my K5 off road but it will never be a mud truck. With what I've bench built in my head, cost should be around 5 grand. Sounds like a lot compared to a LS swap but I get to keep it all Gen I and nothing has to get moved.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Beginning Member
RnB1987 is on a distinguished road

Drop that pos tbi, but u can use the same engine and drop a carb on it with out doing the full swap if u wanted ,not sure how that engine is running wise. I still have the electronic fuel pump hooked up and pumping in to the carb

Old 10-08-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by RnB1987
Drop that pos tbi, but u can use the same engine and drop a carb on it with out doing the full swap if u wanted ,not sure how that engine is running wise. I still have the electronic fuel pump hooked up and pumping in to the carb
Runs like a top. I can tell it has a hard time breathing. These engines in stock form just do not have any real guts. Thought about tossing a carb on it and be done. Cheaper for sure. Cost is not my concern. All of my hotrod buddies are putting LS power in everything. It not that I don't like the LS, it's that everyone is doing it. I want to stay old school with a touch of new school. I agree with the TBI is junk. So are these stock heads... I fix!

Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

The problem is not the TBI it's the cam... nothing from the 80's had power. Change out the cam and put a higher stall converter in and you'll be more than happy.
I'm running TBI on a 327 with Votrec heads, Comp XE268 cam, 1.6 rockers and Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake. I wish I knew if the TBI didn't flow enough air because the injectors cannot put out enough fuel.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:08 PM

glad you like it. Mine is not staying. The stock heads don't move enough air and the compression is too low to just slap heads and a cam in it.

Quick Reply: 1988 with TBI needs to go