Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

350 Swap Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Starting Member
mojoman13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 350 Swap Update

If any of you remember, i am swapping a 350 into my 86' lime green chevy s10 blazer 4x4
I haven't posted in a while
just been busy
but the 350 swap is just about to commence.
i took my 700R4 transmission and transfer case over to a transmission shop
told them to get both up to 350 standards and running fine.
so those are both getting worked on.
i got a new 350crate engine as a present from my dad.
so it is ready to run as soon as i pop it in
im just fixing a few minor things on my 89 pontiac grand prix so i will be able to drive it while my truck is in the shop
going to start ordering parts from jagsthatrun right away since i've saved up the money
so early next week my trucks going in the shop and i'm not going to be able to drive it until it's got a new beast under the hood.
wish me luck guys!
ill keep you updated!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: 350 Swap Update

Damn what motor did he buy you? That's what's holding me back at this point is deciding on what to do for my engine. Rebuild a 350 with 300,000 miles or pull the 350 from my car (under 25K on it). What are they doing to your tranny? I had mine upgraded to v8 clutch pack, bigger servo, new torque, etc. Also what are you doing for an oil pan? If your buying one make sure you get one that matches the rear main seal of your motor.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about the oil pan. GM engines'85 and older had two piece rear main seals.

I would love to drop a 350 into one of my Blazers. I was talking to a guy I used to work with and he will sell me a 4 bolt main for $100. I told him it would be the end of summer before I would buy it. Then I just need to decide which truck it wilgo into. Teh '87 off-road toy, or the'00 DD.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Starting Member

my dad built a 350 from scratch and he was planning on putting it in a project car, but he said i can have it since he doesnt have a project car to put it in lol. aparently it was strong parts in it and the total overal cost of the engine was 2500 canadian and that was with some really good deals from some buddies of his. he said its pushing 300Hp easy so it should do well in my little beast im not too sure wat all parts are in it, i know it has a lt1 intake tho that aparently is like a 20Hp bolt on
so it should run well!
and for the tranny i have no idea wat they are doing. my dad told his buddy who owns the tranny shop to get it up to V8 standards and so hes going to do watever he needs to do to it to get it there.

and for the oil pan, im going to order one from www.jagsthatrun.com
they have one that will not interfere with the front driveshaft and stuff so that should work out well
im going to try to pick up most of my parts from jagsthatrun because i have their manual and those parts aparently work
my 350 is all wrapped up right now so i cant really get a picture of it unfortunately
but like i said, my dads just finishing up on a car thats in his shop then were going to slide mine in there and then she will begin
ill post some pics when i get her in the shop

Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 PM

Sounds good man. What are your plans for the headers? I bought a used set of the slickfit advanced adapters 4x4 headers for mine. I didn't know what headers would work with a 3" BL and those ones don't wrap around the steering shaft. They aren't a true "header" as some people say, but as long as they work I'll be happy. Get some pics up!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Starting Member

oh cool. well ya the JTR manual suggests some headers that you can use. its actually a really interesting manual. very good points and great instructions on the step by step process
im going to start gathering all the parts i needtogether here soon. i just cant wait to unwrap my engine cause i haventeven seen it yet so i want to see it so bad lol!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the JTR manual. Good book to read before you start the swap.

Partriot just came out with a new header for us. Check them out too.

Def get the pics up.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:48 AM
Starting Member

ya JTR has a set of hedman headers that are supposed to work decent.
but my truck goes in the shop monday.
i sold my engine and transmission in my truck right now for $800 and the guy that bought it is coming monday to take them both out so its a bonus lol.
so yup its in there monday
ill prob be in there helping the guy take it out
and making sure he doesnt scratch the crap out of my truck trying to get it out lol!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:25 AM

Yeah don't let him take it out himself. He's only going to be concerned with the motor and tranny and not so much with the truck. You don't want any wires/hoses getting destroyed if you can help it.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:23 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

I agree with the JTR manual. Good book to read before you start the swap.

Partriot just came out with a new header for us. Check them out too.

Def get the pics up.
How is it on info for the 2nd gen Blazer? The website lists stuff that's mostly for the 1st gen, and mostly 2wd parts...

Quick Reply: 350 Swap Update