Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3 fresh rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:18 AM
ljrce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.3 fresh rebuild

yes my first post 4.3 bored 40 over gm torque cam new valves valve seats crank groudn 10 on rods and 10 on mains and more have aroudn 75 miles on it sience rebuild and it smokes on start up and down the road some times

Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4.3 fresh rebuild

What did you use for valve seals? I have seen this before when too tall of valve seals were used and get ruined by the valve keeper crashing down on them repeatedly. Are your plugs showing signs of oil contamination?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:26 AM
ljrce is an unknown quantity at this point

the one plug i pulled was black and i used htre ones that came with my engine kit from sealed power

Old 07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like you're getting oil into the pistons. I'd pop off one valve cover and see if you can inspect the seals with the springs in-place. If not, you may have to pull one or two valve springs to see. Do you know how much lift the cam has? If it is the retainers hitting on the seals, check to make sure that the seal sits down on the valve guide properly (seated all the way - bottom of seal touching the machined face). If this is the case, then you may have to have your retainers machined to keep them from hitting. Again, this is only if you see damage to the top of the valve seals once in there.

If you don't see damage to the seals, and they are properly installed, then your problem may lie with faulty oil rings on the pistons. A leaking intake gasket would cause a high idle, but if leaking down into the lifter valley, it could allow oil into the intake track.