Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3 head gasket relacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:53 PM
halftrack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.3 head gasket relacement ?

my 4x4 4.3 1991 s-10 blazer 2 dr blew a head gasket so im going to try to fix it, what other parts should i buy other than gaskets, and what else should i look for when replacing the gaskets. Is there a manual out there that has the torque values or is step by step on how to replace the gaskets

Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 4.3 head gasket relacement ?

Yep. Haynes auto repair.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:45 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is kind of hard to describe the steps but a factory service manual would help you greatly. If you only need torque settings then a Haynes manual will do.

The things you should look for are cracks and/or warping on the head and block. Bad cracks you can see. For small cracks there is a blue liquid (for the life of me I can not remember the name) that can be used. But I guess you would only really concerned with big cracks. Warping can be checked with just a straight edge. If you have either a big crack or warping you will need some machining or in worst case a new engine.

Additional parts you might need: I personally would replace any connecting bolts with new ARP bolts (just in case they were stressed which might cause them to break when torqued ) but you can probably get by with the old hardware. You should get some thread sealant - there might be some bolts that have to be sealed off when assembled.

Before assembly clean and inspect the head (valves, valve springs, keepers ect) for breaks, missing, or bent components.
After assembly give it an oil change and have the cooling system flushed. You also might want to have a cooling system pressure check just to make sure your gaskets set properly.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Take the head to a auto machine shop and have them magnaflux it and check for warpage. Then might talk you into replacing the valve guides and cleaning the head, both are also good ideas. If you do get it cleaned and new valve guides installed, take him both heads.

Haynes manual will work for this repair. There are better service manuals, however the Haynes manual will work.

While you have the head(s) off, notice how clean or dirty the pistons are, clena them up some. Keep them covered so the walls don't rust. Srapy them with oil (WD-40) so nothing rusts.

This is what my sons 4 banger engine looked like after I pulled th head off. He also blew a head gasket. Cost me $80 at the machine shop to have it magnaflux, cleaned, and new valve guides installed.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Magnaflux == check for cracks.

You should atleast have the heads fly cut to see if they are warped at all. Shouldn't be much to have a machine shop do this. If you have some extra cash laying around, drop the valves out and check them for wear. If none is present, re-lap them and call it good. If you see excessive wear, have a valve job done now. You'll regret it if you have to pull them off again because you are having trouble sealing the valves.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:20 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

and for the love of god replace your valve seals if you don't they will surely start leaking oil with a week....never fails