Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
biniecki is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3 Spark Plugs

Here is the deal. I replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, wires and all but 1 plug today to get rid of random multiple misfire code. The plug i was unable to change was #3. The steering shaft is in the way. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the bastard out w/o removing the shaft? I have tried just about every tool in the garage with to no avail. The truck runs great now even without that plug changed, but i would like to still change it. Just dont really want to have to remove the shaft. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably the most discussed topic on the Forum. Please use the 'search' function for '#3 spark plug', etc and you should find plenty of posts with removal suggestions.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I don't understand. Changing the #3 plug is just about my favorite thing to do on my Blazer!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:34 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You're not a well man.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
kevin turner is on a distinguished road

Its easy, put a spark plug soket on the plug. You will have to find a short on that will slide past the shaft. Then take a 19 mm wherch ( I belive thats the size you will need ) cut it into. Slide the whernch over the spark plug socket and remove the plug its that smiple.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

put an extension on your ratchet and do it from the LF tire... its easy man.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
biniecki is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kevin turner
Its easy, put a spark plug soket on the plug. You will have to find a short on that will slide past the shaft. Then take a 19 mm wherch ( I belive thats the size you will need ) cut it into. Slide the whernch over the spark plug socket and remove the plug its that smiple.
This is the method I used. It was a little tricky but in the end I got it out. The real Pain in the butt was trying to get the new one to line up and start to screw in when i could only get about 3 fingers on it. Overall the job took me an hour for one plug. I hate engineers sometimes lol

Originally Posted by ohsofly
put an extension on your ratchet and do it from the LF tire... its easy man.
I did all the spark plugs by removing the tires. A previous owner also cut out sections of the wheel wells to make it even easier. As far as you method goes it does not work for me. After the socket was on the plug there was no room for a ratchet let alone an extension. I barely could get the end wrench on it.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Just pull the shaft. Only one bolt holds it on. I can do my #3 in about 5 minutes, including removing and reattaching the shaft. Go in from the wheel well and get the bolt situated so you're looking at the head of it. Use a socket and extension and itll come loose very easily. You may need to pry the shaft off of the splines on the steering box.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Vermilion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
I don't understand. Changing the #3 plug is just about my favorite thing to do on my Blazer!
You're not a well man.

ROFL No you are not!!!

Sick bro!! SICK!! LOL

Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 PM
dkk1661 is on a distinguished road

Just changed my plugs and wires yesterday. I would definitely recommend unbolting the steering shaft,to get to the #3 plug, its easy. Remove black plastic jacket around the u-joint, theres only 1 bolt, u can't miss it, remove that bolt. 11mm if my memory serves me correct. the shaft will collapse when you pull it apart. Once its out of the way its smooth sailing!

Quick Reply: 4.3 Spark Plugs